• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Websites that SUCK!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, in an attempt to defend the site, and the fact that design is subjective anyway.

1. The long loading time is beneficial in the sense that you can go and make a cup of tea or go for a poo, and it will be all ready and waiting for you when you get back. Too many sites are "Wham! Bam ! Instantly available." and the BE site gives you time to think, contemplate and gaze at your navel fluff. People don't do that enough these days.

2. The design elements are minimalistic, plain and functional and do not crowd the eyes with too much information. The packages they sell are the centre points of the page and these stand out perfectly.

3. The Secure Home Page is a nice touch and shows that they take their security seriously, enough to ensure that non-secure browsers alert their users. In this age, you cannot be too careful.

4. The site isn't aiming to be "fun and funky", which is a refreshing change. It just presents the info clearly with no further distractions.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Be's new site. IT IS HORRID

All you webby types - please explain to me why that is 'cool'. If some design company presented that to me they would be out the door straight away. I would NEVER let that pile of tulipe have my company name on it.
      Crikey, it's like a throw back to the first sites that appeared on GeoCities. I can see what they were aiming for, but they missed. By a mile.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

taken from http://blog.bethere.co.uk/:

We get the gist of the feedback; our new website is live and you don’t like the look of it. We’ll listen and learn over the next few days
        I agree with everybody else - it's absolutely horrific.

Comment

Maybe it's ironic?
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            Be's new site. IT IS HORRID

All you webby types - please explain to me why that is 'cool'. If some design company presented that to me they would be out the door straight away. I would NEVER let that pile of tulipe have my company name on it.
            By ****, that's appalling.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
              Well, in an attempt to defend the site, and the fact that design is subjective anyway.

1. The long loading time is beneficial in the sense that you can go and make a cup of tea or go for a poo, and it will be all ready and waiting for you when you get back. Too many sites are "Wham! Bam ! Instantly available." and the BE site gives you time to think, contemplate and gaze at your navel fluff. People don't do that enough these days.

2. The design elements are minimalistic, plain and functional and do not crowd the eyes with too much information. The packages they sell are the centre points of the page and these stand out perfectly.

3. The Secure Home Page is a nice touch and shows that they take their security seriously, enough to ensure that non-secure browsers alert their users. In this age, you cannot be too careful.

4. The site isn't aiming to be "fun and funky", which is a refreshing change. It just presents the info clearly with no further distractions.
              The style is not actually the problem although it is assumed to be by most people on this thread. The issue is that it does not say what the site does, the eye reads from left to right and then down, knowing that you are asked to look at 7 boxes before you see that the site sells broadband.

The design is not a fail, it is the layout.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
                Understatement. No excuse for it really,

Only reason can think of they came up with something like that is they fired the web team and bought a cms to replace them and poped down to the local job center to get someone (who has done the ECDL) to set it up

My original thought was they might have used the boss's nerdy kid but honestly seen sites set up by nerdy 10 year olds that are 100 times better

Popped
                Centre

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                  A serious question: is it OK for me to disregard the repeated warnings my Firefox v3.0.11 is giving me about that site?

I select "Or you can add an exception…" and get

"You should not add an exception if you are using an internet connection that you do not trust completely or if you are not used to seeing a warning for this server."

If I ignore the drfault "Get me out of here" and choose "Add exception" I get

"Legitimate sites will not ask you to do this" and if I ignore that and click on "Get Certificate" I get two more warnings, at which point I bottle out.

If I had not heard of "BE" as an ISP I would never touch them, their web site, their emails or anything to do ith them ever again.

Are you quite sure this site actually is kocher and that my Firefox and the security certificates are wrong?
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    The style is not actually the problem although it is assumed to be by most people on this thread. The issue is that it does not say what the site does, the eye reads from left to right and then down, knowing that you are asked to look at 7 boxes before you see that the site sells broadband.

The design is not a fail, it is the layout.
                    Not to mention that even on a 24" monitor at 1920x1200 it still doesn't all fit on the screen and you have to scroll down to see the rest.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                      Not to mention that even on a 24" monitor at 1920x1200 it still doesn't all fit on the screen and you have to scroll down to see the rest.
                      I agree, the human eye can see a bird fly from a mile away but we need 2 spaces before a line in a novel 6 inches from the face to know we are on a new paragraph.

Muggins here used to be software dev manager in a marketing company.

Comment

Working...
                      X