• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Social housing prioritisation and immigrants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh I see. Mark Wadsworth is a politician. That explains it.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Oh I see. Mark Wadsworth is a politician. That explains it.
      Tax accountant, I think.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        Tax accountant, I think.
        Where does he get this "five years" from? The statistics go back to 2002 at least I thought? Unless I've read the wrong thing...

But still, why are economic migrants in social housing at all? aahhhh...forged wage slips, et al. its all about working the system my friends and not outright favoritism.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I agree the report completely misses the point, they shouldn't be eligible at all.

Good points made here, and in the comments:
          http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ph...-is-it-a-myth/

I like this one
          Asking the Equalities and Human Rights Commission to report on this is akin to asking the HSE if we are going too far on Heath & Safety, or the BBC if license fees should be cut.
          I think this report has backfired, the people who will crow about it are those like the original poster, but most people can see it for the total missing-the-point bulltulip it is, plus they will just get angry that they are being deliberately fed disinformation to justify failed policies.
          It isn't helping anyone. I wonder how much money was wasted on compiling it.

They also don't cover existing ex-council housing which was sold under right-to-buy then let to newer immigrants (thus not showing on the above statistics yet still straining housing and changing demographics in poor areas), I believe that's how Abu Hookhand Hamza started his government-subsidised Buy To Let portfolio.

The combination of privately owned ex-council, and housing association let properties allows Labour and left wing think tank statistics to disguise and grossly underestimate the effects of immigration on poor areas.
          Last edited by GreenerGrass; 7 July 2009, 19:22.

Comment

Not my experience admittedly second hand.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
              Tax accountant, I think.
              Tax accountant and Conservative MP. Very used to presenting statistics in anyway he pleases.

Lies, damned lies, statistics, and statistics used by politicians. ( Equalities and Human Rights Commission are also of course being political ).

There is a perception that immigrants get preference over social housing. I've no trouble believing that perception is false - there's a nasty knee jerk xenophobic reaction to immigrants even in the good times. What could happen is that a higher percentage of immigrants on the list fall into the urgent need categories, and therefore the councils are obliged to house them first.

Hmm. When does an immigrant become an expat?

Anyway - rather than rely on what the newspapers think or say about a report, why not read it for yourself.
              Last edited by NotAllThere; 8 July 2009, 05:46.

Comment

Tax accountant and Conservative MP. Very used to presenting statistics in anyway he pleases.

Lies, damned lies, statistics, and statistics used by politicians. ( Equalities and Human Rights Commission are also of course being political ).

There is a perception that immigrants get preference over social housing. I've no trouble believing that perception is false - there's a nasty knee jerk xenophobic reaction to immigrants even in the good times. What could happen is that a higher percentage of immigrants on the list fall into the urgent need categories, and therefore the councils are obliged to house them first.

Hmm. When does an immigrant become an expat?

Anyway - rather than rely on what the newspapers think or say about a report, why not read it for yourself.
                There's nothing xenophobic about the realisation that the country is already overpopulated, the UK is the 3rd most densely populated country in Europe behind NL and Belgium.

The entire infrastructure is creaking at the seams and successive governments have done sod all about it, the OPT says the UK should have an optimum population of 30m yet we are heading for a projected 77m by 2050 which means 2 more cities the size of London.

The big business that benefits from a seemingly endless supply of cheap labour don’t give a toss about the indigenous population, we’re all ultimately doomed™ I tell you.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  There's nothing xenophobic about the realisation that the country is already overpopulated, the UK is the 3rd most densely populated country in Europe behind NL and Belgium...
                  It's the reaction to that realisation in form of hatred of immigrants, the circulation of half-truths about them, stereotyping etc. that is the xenophobia, not the realisation itself.

btw - the Swiss aren't as crowded, but are much more xenophobic than the British - well, the English anyway.

Anyway - populations in Europe are declining, and the UK is turning into a third world country, so I'm sure the population will settle down soon.

Comment

It's the reaction to that realisation in form of hatred of immigrants, the circulation of half-truths about them, stereotyping etc. that is the xenophobia, not the realisation itself.

btw - the Swiss aren't as crowded, but are much more xenophobic than the British - well, the English anyway.

Anyway - populations in Europe are declining, and the UK is turning into a third world country, so I'm sure the population will settle down soon.
                    Do you not have any sympathy for the people who say “they come over ere’ and take our jobs”? Is that a xenophobic statement?

I must admit that I didn’t until it started affecting my ability to provide for my family in the country I was born, I don’t blame anyone for wanting a better life but surely it’s the governments responsibility to look after the indigenous population first which means not allowing people in ‘willy nilly’ and not allowing big business to ride roughshod over the rules (ICT’s) whether it be for housing or jobs.

I agree that right wing will take advantage of the situation but where do you expect ‘ordinary hard working families™’ to turn when they are being ignored by whichever government happens to be in power?
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Just how long are people expected to go on being reasonable?
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X