• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rejecting a contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    ............So what are my options?
    ............Total earnings = 1212 - 500 = 712 a week.
    ............That does not compensate for living away, the tulip places I have stayed in, the hassle and the food I have had to endure.
    1st rule - Always make sure you keep your contract unless you really have something else. If you start playing up, eventually you're toast and you WILL be replaced by the agent.

Also, The problem of "lack of money" is elsewhere - it is NOT in this contract.
    However, all things considered, its the third one thats important.

Here's another option, you should lower your outgoings and consider a permie role near home. If you have a large mortgage, then downscale your house, rent or whatever.

IMO, the real option that you're trying not to aknowledge, is the one you really should be facing ...

"Do I continue to pedal hard just to stand still?"

Just my 2p. Good luck and be tahnkful for what you've got

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
      Sounds like hang on for a couple of weeks then tell the agent to do one - you're in a much stronger bargaining position then.
      +1
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

If the contract is in Geneva, and the agent is Swiss, and the client, presumably, is Swiss, why are you getting paid in roubles... I mean, pounds?
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
          Here's another option, you should lower your outgoings and consider a permie role near home. If you have a large mortgage, then downscale your house, rent or whatever.

IMO, the real option that you're trying not to aknowledge, is the one you really should be facing ...

Downscale your house? Just like that?

I'm looking at this too, but it's not an easy choice (I know you're not saying it is): if you sell your house, you face locking in what might be the bottom of the market (i.e. you have leveraged your life savings into the toilet). OK, that is theoretically where you are already whether you like it or not, but if you hang on to your house then you will still own it later when values may have risen; if you sell it now you will never be in a position to catch the market going back up (if it ever does).

Then you have fees for the sale, fees for buying or renting to replace it, costs of moving, and an upset to family life that may or may not be worse than the effort of riding out the situation.

If it's a long-term choice, it might be right; as a reaction to a situation lasting months or even a year or two, it may cause more trouble than it solves.
          Last edited by expat; 29 June 2009, 14:39.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            Downscale your house? Just like that?

I'm looking at this too, but it's not an easy choice (I know you're not saying it is):

......If it's a long-term choice, it might be right; as a reaction to a situation lasting months or even a year or two, it may cause more trouble than it solves.
            Our futures are determined by rolls of the dice. However there are patterns which I believe we can utilise to our benefit and they also blind us to mistaken hope.

Between 1996 and 2006, there was a contracting and housing boom. If you had a house or you did contracting, you couldn't miss!
            If you did both then what a life!
            IMO, what we have now is the exact opposite and it will last at least a decade.
            If you're struggling to keep your head above water now, I say do whatever is neccessary now - don't wait to be forced.

Comment

Our futures are determined by rolls of the dice. However there are patterns which I believe we can utilise to our benefit and they also blind us to mistaken hope.

Between 1996 and 2006, there was a contracting and housing boom. If you had a house or you did contracting, you couldn't miss!
              If you did both then what a life!
              IMO, what we have now is the exact opposite and it will last at least a decade.
              If you're struggling to keep your head above water now, I say do whatever is neccessary now - don't wait to be forced.
              I do agree, it will last, your decisions should be long-term, and it is better not to be forced (though the difference between jumping and being pushed is mainly when you splat).

"At least a decade" is most of the rest of my active life. I'd like to make one or two good choices about it......

Comment

I hope it works out for you Tony. I'd just tell the client that you couldn't agree terms with the agent, grit your teeth and say it's been a pleasure etc etc
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                  I hope it works out for you Tony. I'd just tell the client that you couldn't agree terms with the agent, grit your teeth and say it's been a pleasure etc etc
                  Good Advice Zippy!
                  Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
                  I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

1st rule - Always make sure you keep your contract unless you really have something else. If you start playing up, eventually you're toast and you WILL be replaced by the agent.

Also, The problem of "lack of money" is elsewhere - it is NOT in this contract.
                    However, all things considered, its the third one thats important.

Just my 2p. Good luck and be tahnkful for what you've got

I don't think my current costs at home are excessive. What I'm saying is the amount left over does not cut it. Geneva is a stupidly expensive place and I'm probably underestimating my costs out here. What I'm saying is I'm finding it hard to justify being out here. We recently had a guy leave doing the same role as me and one of his reasons was the rate and how it didn't really compansate for the tulipholes you live in, the travel and the extended periods away from home and he was on 20% more than me.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                      I don't think my current costs at home are excessive. What I'm saying is the amount left over does not cut it. Geneva is a stupidly expensive place and I'm probably underestimating my costs out here. What I'm saying is I'm finding it hard to justify being out here. We recently had a guy leave doing the same role as me and one of his reasons was the rate and how it didn't really compansate for the tulipholes you live in, the travel and the extended periods away from home and he was on 20% more than me.
                      I'm not trying to get on your case Tony, but ISTM that your costs are not excessive. That's what it costs to work away. Geneva can be ludicrous but one can get round it: and you already have, you're doing well. It would cost you the same in Frankfurt or Amsterdam.

OK you don't like going to France, and you don't like the travel and the time away: I sympathise but that's what it's like. You call your hotel a tuliphole, but I'm afraid that I don't sympathise there. It's just a dorm, staying in a "good" hotel, or even a standard business hotel, is a luxury and I don't pay for that in my work phase. Is it more or less clean? It is cheap? That's about it for me, when I'm away at work. That's not my life, it's where I work for my life.

Your rate is not good for working away, it's a survival rate. It's not Geneva that is your problem, nor your home life.

If you only took it for survival (and I would right now - what's the job spec? ) then have courage and stick it out. OTOH if you thought it was a decent rate based on info received, and it turns out that it isn't: do you have an exit plan?

Comment

Working...
                      X