• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's it like to live on the NE coast - Cullercoats, Whitley Bay etc?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the_duderama View Post
    Best beach in england is at bamburgh castle - you can see holy island, it's all golden sand for miles, great stuff, just freezing cold.
    Agreed about the beach at Bamburgh. As for the cold, living a bit further inland may be the key. Once thing I noticed when I lived in the NE was that it may get cold, but it was a dry cold, so you didn't feel it as much as in the Pennines.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      . As for the cold, living a bit further inland may be the key. Once thing I noticed when I lived in the NE was that it may get cold, but it was a dry cold
      You can get some medicine for that.
      You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Very nice, but too many jellyfish last time I toured the area. Great fish and chips though and pleasant local in hotels etc.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by XperTest View Post
          Can you go up as far as Alnmouth? A very nice little town on the seaside, if you like a bit of seclusion..
          Now you're talking.....all this talk of tynemouth and whitley bay is a joke if you can afford somewhere around Alnmouth. Beautiful clean beaches, marvellous scenery, and the mainline railway is there if you need it.
          Blood in your poo

Comment

At all costs avoid going for a swim in the North Sea.

Been up here 13 years now. Dipped my toes in the sea on the first weekend and after about two minutes they went blue. I'm sure another couple of minutes and they'd have dropped off. Bitterly cold isn't in it.

From the area you've mentioned, I would look round Tynemouth. For the money you'd pay there, you'd get at least a street in Blyth, but you couldn't park your car there and expect to return to it.

If you don't mind the commute (only half an hour) then I'd go for Alnmouth or Alnwick (continually voted the best place to live in Britain).

You'll find it easy to make friends up here... they're a friendly bunch.
            'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
              At all costs avoid going for a swim in the North Sea.

Been up here 13 years now. Dipped my toes in the sea on the first weekend and after about two minutes they went blue. I'm sure another couple of minutes and they'd have dropped off. Bitterly cold isn't in it.

From the area you've mentioned, I would look round Tynemouth. For the money you'd pay there, you'd get at least a street in Blyth, but you couldn't park your car there and expect to return to it.

If you don't mind the commute (only half an hour) then I'd go for Alnmouth or Alnwick (continually voted the best place to live in Britain).

You'll find it easy to make friends up here... they're a friendly bunch.
              Alnwick would get my vote or Lindisfarne if you have waders.

PZZ

Comment

But if we're talking about the best place in the north east to live then Tynedale gets my vote

Comment

Working...
                X