• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I like this Country, but...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be interested in a country by country comparison - I don't think there'd be too many where it wouldn't get knicked ...

Maybe Japan, but I had a Camera thieved there so not convinced they're as pure as they're made out to be.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      I'd be interested in a country by country comparison - I don't think there'd be too many where it wouldn't get knicked ...

Maybe Japan, but I had a Camera thieved there so not convinced they're as pure as they're made out to be.
      Deutschland ??
      CH ??

Comment

Originally posted by denver2k View Post
        Deutschland ??
        CH ??
        I had a backpack stolen in Munich.

Never experienced it in Switzerland (I assume that's CH), but they've a bucketload of junkies, who normally aren't adverse to pilfering to fund the habit (Maybe they get it for free, NFI).
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

When I was working in Utrecht, my partner came over for a weekend. Out walking around the centre on Saturday, we nipped into a cafe. The rain started, and she noticed that the rain hat she had had in her coat pocket was gone. Oh well, she said, it's gone now, it's raining so someobody will have picked it up and taken it. I don't think so, I said. I went out and retraced our steps over the last few streets, and sure enough somebody had picked it up and put it on a post, rainproof side out.

And I had been able to be sure that it would be like that.

In a cafe, I forgetfully left 3 new CDs under the table. Came back in the evening, but they were gone. I asked the barman but nobody had handed them in. Oh well, I said, my fault for being careless. No, the barman insisted forcefully, nobody would take them. I later sheepishly found out that my partner had noticed that I had left them, so taken them, and forgotten to mention.

Again, the barman's certainty that they would not be stolen.

Of course this doesn't apply to Amsterdam, which is full of foreigners: but among the Dutch, old or young, it does.

We should be like that. Were we once?

Comment

Hardly anyone locks their bikes in Hamburg. Most aren't worth nicking though.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
              I had a backpack stolen in Munich.

Never experienced it in Switzerland (I assume that's CH), but they've a bucketload of junkies, who normally aren't adverse to pilfering to fund the habit (Maybe they get it for free, NFI).
              Averse - it's a different word.

Comment

Working...
              X