• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I like this Country, but..."

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    I had a backpack stolen in Munich.

Never experienced it in Switzerland (I assume that's CH), but they've a bucketload of junkies, who normally aren't adverse to pilfering to fund the habit (Maybe they get it for free, NFI).
    Averse - it's a different word.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Hardly anyone locks their bikes in Hamburg. Most aren't worth nicking though.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    When I was working in Utrecht, my partner came over for a weekend. Out walking around the centre on Saturday, we nipped into a cafe. The rain started, and she noticed that the rain hat she had had in her coat pocket was gone. Oh well, she said, it's gone now, it's raining so someobody will have picked it up and taken it. I don't think so, I said. I went out and retraced our steps over the last few streets, and sure enough somebody had picked it up and put it on a post, rainproof side out.

And I had been able to be sure that it would be like that.

In a cafe, I forgetfully left 3 new CDs under the table. Came back in the evening, but they were gone. I asked the barman but nobody had handed them in. Oh well, I said, my fault for being careless. No, the barman insisted forcefully, nobody would take them. I later sheepishly found out that my partner had noticed that I had left them, so taken them, and forgotten to mention.

Again, the barman's certainty that they would not be stolen.

Of course this doesn't apply to Amsterdam, which is full of foreigners: but among the Dutch, old or young, it does.

We should be like that. Were we once?

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by denver2k View Post
    Deutschland ??
    CH ??
    I had a backpack stolen in Munich.

Never experienced it in Switzerland (I assume that's CH), but they've a bucketload of junkies, who normally aren't adverse to pilfering to fund the habit (Maybe they get it for free, NFI).

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    I'd be interested in a country by country comparison - I don't think there'd be too many where it wouldn't get knicked ...

Maybe Japan, but I had a Camera thieved there so not convinced they're as pure as they're made out to be.
    Deutschland ??
    CH ??

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    I'd be interested in a country by country comparison - I don't think there'd be too many where it wouldn't get knicked ...

Maybe Japan, but I had a Camera thieved there so not convinced they're as pure as they're made out to be.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Not sure I agree with inferences from a stistical sample of 1. Where is our resident expert sasguru (the clever third)? Maybe when he has finished hurling insults riund he might like to comment......
    sample size of 1 =

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    All the scousers were down in London that day stealing bikes because they heard that we just leave them lying around unlocked. Meanwhile back in Liverpool they saw the bikes and thought it was too good to be true; they were spooked!

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    All the scousers were down in London that day stealing bikes because they heard that we just leave them lying around unlocked. Meanwhile back in Liverpool they saw the bikes and thought it was too good to be true; they were spooked!

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Not sure I agree with inferences from a stistical sample of 1. Where is our resident expert sasguru (the clever third)? Maybe when he has finished hurling insults riund he might like to comment......
    As I said, I find the regional differences largely irrelevant - it's just a shame you can't leave a bike somewhere without the seeming inevitability of it being nicked.

To borrow someone else's analogy, arguing about which place has the fastest or slowest scrotes is like arguing about whether it's better to have Syphilis or Chlamydia.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Yes, "according to the research by insurance giant More Than."

If they really are an insurance giant then possibly they could do more than buy 5 bikes and record the time until they get stolen to get a free advert in a national paper.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    One thing I am least proud of is the huge incidence thieving scum -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...don-worst.html

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I am more upset with the standard of written English from the journalist..

I'm more upset that you can't leave your bike unattended, but the standard of English in all the papers is lamentable.

CyberGit seems to think it's a lack of effective deterents - if that is true and all that would stop theiving is more draconian enforcement, then it's even worse than I thought, because the only thing that's stopping people doing bad stuff is the possibilty of getting caught rather than because stealing is wrong.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I don't care about the regional differences, I'm just really dissapointed that you can't leave your bike unattended without some scum having it away
    I am more upset with the standard of written English from the journalist..

"And according to the figures it seems Liverpool has come top of the honesty table with thieves waiting four hours to steal a bike.

The finding compares to just 17 minutes in London where a bike was stolen in 17 minutes."

I understood what they meant with the first mention of 17 minutes. Maybe they have to write that way with people like CyberTory as readers.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I don't care about the regional differences, I'm just really disappointed that you can't leave your bike unattended without some scum having it away
    WHS

Leave a comment:

Working...
X