• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A boat in zero gravity : would it sink?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The real question is how would you transport a sea and ship to space

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
      I didn't set the question - I am merely commenting on the answers.

Assuming that "the laws of physics" did still exist perhaps you could propose how the "sea" and the "boat" were transported to this "Zero Gravity Place" (which still has gravity)
      I don't know, maybe 'Mythbusters' had a big budget that year?
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

always away from the sun - it is the solar wind which causes the tail.

but the OP did not ask about space anyway he/she asked about a boat in zero gravity.

The answer would be no the boat and the water would stay in the same place you left them if no external forces acted upon them. I reckon!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          The real question is how would you transport a sea and ship to space
          How big do the boat and sea have to be to qualify?
          Last edited by TimberWolf; 17 June 2009, 12:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            In what direction does a comet leave its tail then and why?
            {Brain cog overload} It's related to radiation and the interstellar magnetic field ... just Google it, but they do have a valid direction.
            The close proximity of the letters 'G' and 'T' are the reason I'll never again send an important email and end it with "Regards" ....

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

but the OP did not ask about space anyway he/she asked about a boat in zero gravity.

The answer would be no the boat and the water would stay in the same place you left them if no external forces acted upon them. I reckon!
              What is the tail made of?

Originally posted by TriggerHippy View Post
              {Brain cog overload} It's related to radiation and the interstellar magnetic field ... just Google it, but they do have a valid direction.
              In space, if you are in sunlight you would get very hot. If you were in shade you'd be very cold. Hence the reason I mentioned that there are 3 methods of heat transferral. Radiation was the one discounted by an earlier post.
              Last edited by Churchill; 17 June 2009, 12:57.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

You're missing out Brownian motion (heat) and other e.g. molecular forces.

Comment

What is the tail made of?
                  Comet.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

You're assuming that heat is only conducted, transferred via convection.

Radiation, convection and conduction are all methods of heat transfer.

I think the water would boil away if not contained by some form of pressure vessel.
                    WHS

The radiation from nearby stellar objects would cause any fluids to boil away; eg, if you were to get a tear in your pressure suit if outside the Shuttle, you'd be ****ed.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                      Comet.
                      Yes, and how is the tail formed?

Comment

Working...
                      X