• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A boat in zero gravity : would it sink?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    Not wishing to put a downer on things but, given the hypothesised existence of "dark matter" surely there's no such thing as zero gravity?

The point is that by using the Lagrange points you can effectively cancel the effects of the gravitational pull of planets, this would be an ideal location for 'floating' the boat.

Whatever Floats your boat ...

The Lagrange points mark positions where the combined gravitational pull of the two large masses provides precisely the centripetal force required to rotate with them. They are analogous to geostationary orbits in that they allow an object to be in a "fixed" position in space rather than an orbit in which its relative position changes continuously.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 17 June 2009, 13:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      MM, I know how it's formed, I'm just trying to get a few others to realise the mistakes in their posts...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        The moon doesn't have "Zero" gravity.
        it does

right in the middle

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          If it's so cold in space then why is the comet heating up?
          Because there's no matter there.

Little matter = little friction = little heat.

Photons aren't matter (IIRC - that might have changed)

Put something there, it gets hit by photons, it gets hot. The space around it (nothing) doesn't get hot.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

If it's so cold in space then why is the comet heating up?
            Apologies it is absorbing energy in the form of radiation which "heats" up the comet.

Oh and space is not cold 2 cms from the suns corona (or wherever the edge of the sun stops and space starts!)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              You guys are talking about this as if its a thought experiment or something, but it has actually been done, and the answer was YES , it did sink, but only by about two centimetres.
              When they landed their ship in the sea of tranquility in 1969, many feared it would sink without trace, but it didnt.

The moon's a rocky mass

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                If a boat was floating on the sea out in space, would it sink?
                Do you mean outer space?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Apologies it is absorbing energy in the form of radiation which "heats" up the comet.

Oh and space is not cold 2 cms from the suns corona (or wherever the edge of the sun stops and space starts!)
                  they co-exist - the sun is in space

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Halle-f**king-lujah!

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                      The moon's a rocky mass
                      The OP said sea, he did not rule out rocky masses.
                      I reckon the sea of tranquility qualifies, and therefore I claim the points

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X