• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A boat in zero gravity : would it sink?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    Would take a loooong time to freeze a sea in space i reckon. I'd say by then, all the water would have drifted off all over the shop in icy clumps and the boat would be sea-less.

They should pack everyone on sickness benefits into the QE2 and try it.
    Just Googled thermodynamics in a vacuum and my hypothesis is actually balls.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      But who would get the car?
      You would get the car because you switched. The goat in door 2 gets the plane.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        Everything has some gravity.

HTH
        You may be correct in the real world - However the original parameter specified was zero gravity (A boat in zero gravity : would it sink?) so although you could be right you are wrong because you have changed the conditions.

Possibly the question should be re-phrased allowing for a more detailed scientific analysis..........

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          You're assuming that heat is only conducted, transferred via convection.

Radiation, convection and conduction are all methods of heat transfer.

I think the water would boil away if not contained by some form of pressure vessel.
          The temperature in space is almost absolute zero .. if water would boil, then comets, which leave a trail of ice and debris, wouldn't exist.
          The close proximity of the letters 'G' and 'T' are the reason I'll never again send an important email and end it with "Regards" ....

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
            Just Googled thermodynamics in a vacuum and my hypothesis is actually balls.
            Please don't let that affect your postings..................

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
              You may be correct in the real world - However the original parameter specified was zero gravity (A boat in zero gravity : would it sink?) so although you could be right you are wrong because you have changed the conditions.

Possibly the question should be re-phrased allowing for a more detailed scientific analysis..........
              So if the laws of physics didn't exist...

I think MTC is right, the boat would sit on a sphere of ice.

But... If it got close enough to a star it would sink through the melting water.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I think MTC is right, the boat would sit on a sphere of ice.

But... If it got close enough to a star it would sink through the melting water.
                Is a sea of ice still a sea? I think the OP meant liquid water.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Is a sea of ice still a sea? I think the OP meant liquid water.
                  So water doesn't freeze now... how many more laws are broken?

Also the boat would need to be denser than the water for it to sink to the middle, buoyancy would have no effect.
                  Last edited by gingerjedi; 17 June 2009, 12:50.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I didn't set the question - I am merely commenting on the answers.

Assuming that "the laws of physics" did still exist perhaps you could propose how the "sea" and the "boat" were transported to this "Zero Gravity Place" (which still has gravity)

Comment

Originally posted by TriggerHippy View Post
                      The temperature in space is almost absolute zero .. if water would boil, then comets, which leave a trail of ice and debris, wouldn't exist.
                      In what direction does a comet leave its tail and why?
                      Last edited by Churchill; 17 June 2009, 12:53.

Comment

Working...
                      X