• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A boat in zero gravity : would it sink?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More importantly, if you were on the boat, would anyone hear you scream?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      If a boat was floating on the sea out in space, would it sink?
      If you opened door 3 whilst on a treadmill, then the goat would sink and the boat would take off.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinto View Post
        If you opened door 3 whilst on a treadmill, then the goat would sink and the boat would take off.
        But who would get the car?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          well, not on top, but on it.
          or in it maybe if it has already sunk before going into space?

Depending on the relative positions of the boat and the water when it is exposed to the extremely cold temparatures, I would think the boat would retain the same relative position after freezing.
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

I don't think it would work, but anyway, the temperature in space is so low that the water would be frozen. The ship would sit on top of a lump of ice.
            wouldn't "on top" imply that the ice were below the boat?.....
            and if there was no gravity.... Shirley "Up" and "Down"/"Above" and "Below" would be somewhat meaningless.... ie Isn't it gravity "sucking" that defines "down" for us......

Only asking!

Comment

well, not on top, but on it.
              Depending on the temperature and pressure. At low enough pressure and high enough temperature (to overcome molecular forces), the water would be everywhere, like a cloud.

Comment

A sea in zero gravity?

What would hold all the water molecules together?
                Gravity
                You just hold me down so quietly
                You just pull me down to earth
                Let me grow into the depths of your infinity
                I can sense your presence in the vicinity...
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                  or in it maybe if it has already sunk before going into space?

Depending on the relative positions of the boat and the water when it is exposed to the extremely cold temparatures, I would think the boat would retain the same relative position after freezing.
                  Would take a loooong time to freeze a sea in space i reckon. I'd say by then, all the water would have drifted off all over the shop in icy clumps and the boat would be sea-less.

They should pack everyone on sickness benefits into the QE2 and try it.
                  Last edited by Durbs; 17 June 2009, 12:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                    wouldn't "on top" imply that the ice were below the boat?.....
                    and if there was no gravity.... Shirley "Up" and "Down"/"Above" and "Below" would be somewhat meaningless.... ie Isn't it gravity "sucking" that defines "down" for us......

Only asking!
                    Everything has some gravity.

HTH
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

In Star Trek physics Spaceship orientation is absolute, meaning ships are always the same way up. Except when one spaceship has been hit, in which case it will be at an angle or the other way up.

Comment

Working...
                      X