• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

7 days smoke free!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done
    Now celebrate this with just 1 cigarette

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
      Turned 35 recently and whilst i've tried quitting a number of times in the past I realised that continuing smoking from this point on would not be a good idea.
      6 months almost and I still miss it. I actually miss it more now then the first days. But yes, amazing the effects of not smoking. I guess it's a matter of getting used to. You can't cancel like this something you did for 10 or 15 years...

Good luck. But don't try to go for "just one"... seen quite a lot of people getting back to it after that "just one" after coffee or beer...
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
        seen quite a lot of people getting back to it after that "just one" after coffee or beer...
        Yes, it's deadly. Failed so many times because of that 'one'.

When you stop, you stop.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          Yes, it's deadly. Failed so many times because of that 'one'.

When you stop, you stop.
          Me too, I was stopped for 2 years then during a moment of weakness, stress and somewhat inebriated I had just the one..... All smokers and ex smokers know the rest.

Comment

How I did it....

Think of yourself as an ex-smoker, something that you did a long time ago but you have no need for any more.

When you see someone else smoking or you feel the urge resist it and give yourself a reward of some kind. (My doctor told me to go out and buy a new Porsche, but I settled on a new house as they were cheaper at the time).

When you see others smoking have a pat on the back and remind yourself that you have so much more than them now.

If you are alone and feel nicotine cravings put your fore finger and thumb together and make a ring of confidence to help you through (and give your hands something to do).

Hope this helps.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              What's worse: smoking and going to the gym, or not smoking and sitting in front of the TV/computer all day?
              Dunno if that's a serious question, but I've heard this nice quote before: "if you're a smoker, the single greatest thing you can do to improve your health and fitness is stop smoking". I can't prove it's true though... professional athletes used to smoke (another Harry Enfield reference).

I went for my first run in about 10 years today and it was 'orrible. Only meant as a warmup before some 'proper' exercise lifting weights, but I was so knackered after 25min running up & down hills I never got past the 'warmup'
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                What's worse: smoking and going to the gym, or not smoking and sitting in front of the TV/computer all day?
                Smoking and going to the gym is worse.

However, smoking and sitting in front of the TV/computer all day is worse than smoking and going to the gym if you were looking to cheat for a cheap victory.

Unless you are one of the very few lucky people with an extremely high concentration of OGG enzymes.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky...00806412758847
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I was about to say that it all depends on how much you smoke and how fat you are. I thought fatness was a big killer, but a couple of (probably questionable) studies I just Googled suggest that though extreme obesity is pretty bad (-7 years), moderate obesity doesn't knock as much off your life expectancy as I thought (3 years). Smoking was way worse, though little was said about how much smoking. I'm not sure I believe though. How often do you see obese 100 year olds? Unless you get thinner in old age and some are ex-fatties?

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
                    Think of yourself as an ex-smoker, something that you did a long time ago but you have no need for any more.

When you see someone else smoking or you feel the urge resist it and give yourself a reward of some kind. (My doctor told me to go out and buy a new Porsche, but I settled on a new house as they were cheaper at the time).

When you see others smoking have a pat on the back and remind yourself that you have so much more than them now.

If you are alone and feel nicotine cravings put your fore finger and thumb together and make a ring of confidence to help you through (and give your hands something to do).

Hope this helps.

PZZ
                    I like that advice. Just started on the gum........
                    Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                      Just started on the gum........
                      Worked for me. Unlike most I don't remember the exact date as I tried stopping so many times until I got it right. I must have been off the ciggies for about 8 years now. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X