• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When do Scottish sports stars become British?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    If I were Scottish I'd be a bit p1ssed about the attempt to make him appear not Scottish.
    Well that would be an enterprise doomed to failure.

He is without doubt, very, very Scottish, indeed. That's the problem.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Nothing other than the inability of the media to call him Scottish. England has been so sh1t at tennis for so long we have taken to pretending Andy Murray is English.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        Nothing other than the inability of the media to call him Scottish. England has been so tulip at tennis for so long we have taken to pretending Andy Murray is English.
        Here's me thinking he was being called British. Though to be honest from what I've seen he seems to get called Scottish more often than not.

But either way is it a problem? He's Scottish, he lives in Britain - he competes, and quite passionately it seems, for Britain in the Davis cup.

His sin appears to be, to me, not having a big media personality and making some 'supporting anyone but England' comments a few years back (Apparently jokes) - like most Scots wouldn't do the same, and lets be honest - most English these days as well. At work it's friendly banter, but somehow if a media figure makes it it's a cardinal sin.

I like him, I hope he wins and I'll be happy to call him British but if you don't want him that's cool with us jocks that aren't so parochial.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I'm sure he will get more popular as:

1) He gets older
          2) He wins more

Not sure what either of those things say about the media & the public.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            I'm sure he will get more popular as:

1) He gets older
            2) He wins more

Not sure what either of those things say about the media & the public.
            3) Gets even more obnoxious

oh errr...

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
              3) Gets even more obnoxious

oh errr...
              What's he done recently that's obnoxious?
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

There's surlier adults on this board than Murray.

There's nothing wrong with him.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  They dont! Murray can **** off for all I care and take his inbred scottish ***** with him.

My mate's wife, a scot, claims in all seriousness that the English deliberately make scotland look smaller on maps than it really is!

Have the scots never hear of satellite images then that shows their poxy little country in its true size?
                  Keep it up, lads. I've always said that the Scots will only be prodded into breaking the united kingdom by the offensiveness of English prats, so we need more like you.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Keep it up, lads. I've always said that the Scots will only be prodded into breaking the united kingdom by the offensiveness of English prats, so we need more like you.
                    WHS + 1

Freeeeeeeeeeeedom

"I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Working...
                    X