• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "When do Scottish sports stars become British?"

Collapse

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Keep it up, lads. I've always said that the Scots will only be prodded into breaking the united kingdom by the offensiveness of English prats, so we need more like you.
    WHS + 1

Freeeeeeeeeeeedom

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    They dont! Murray can **** off for all I care and take his inbred scottish ***** with him.

My mate's wife, a scot, claims in all seriousness that the English deliberately make scotland look smaller on maps than it really is!

Have the scots never hear of satellite images then that shows their poxy little country in its true size?
    Keep it up, lads. I've always said that the Scots will only be prodded into breaking the united kingdom by the offensiveness of English prats, so we need more like you.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    There's surlier adults on this board than Murray.

There's nothing wrong with him.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    3) Gets even more obnoxious

oh errr...
    What's he done recently that's obnoxious?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I'm sure he will get more popular as:

1) He gets older
    2) He wins more

Not sure what either of those things say about the media & the public.
    3) Gets even more obnoxious

oh errr...

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I'm sure he will get more popular as:

1) He gets older
    2) He wins more

Not sure what either of those things say about the media & the public.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Nothing other than the inability of the media to call him Scottish. England has been so tulip at tennis for so long we have taken to pretending Andy Murray is English.
    Here's me thinking he was being called British. Though to be honest from what I've seen he seems to get called Scottish more often than not.

But either way is it a problem? He's Scottish, he lives in Britain - he competes, and quite passionately it seems, for Britain in the Davis cup.

His sin appears to be, to me, not having a big media personality and making some 'supporting anyone but England' comments a few years back (Apparently jokes) - like most Scots wouldn't do the same, and lets be honest - most English these days as well. At work it's friendly banter, but somehow if a media figure makes it it's a cardinal sin.

I like him, I hope he wins and I'll be happy to call him British but if you don't want him that's cool with us jocks that aren't so parochial.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Nothing other than the inability of the media to call him Scottish. England has been so sh1t at tennis for so long we have taken to pretending Andy Murray is English.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    If I were Scottish I'd be a bit p1ssed about the attempt to make him appear not Scottish.
    Well that would be an enterprise doomed to failure.

He is without doubt, very, very Scottish, indeed. That's the problem.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    I have noting against Scottish people, see avatar. Just the constant Tim Henmanifying of Andy Murray, and the expectation (by Sue Barker at al) that we should be getting Murray mania now. If I were Scottish I'd be a bit p1ssed about the attempt to make him appear not Scottish.
    Fine. So you don't like him, I can see why many wouldn't warm to him. But why get into the Scottish/English thing then?

What was the purpose of starting this thread exactly?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I have noting against Scottish people, see avatar. Just the constant Tim Henmanifying of Andy Murray, and the expectation (by Sue Barker at al) that we should be getting Murray mania now. If I were Scottish I'd be a bit p1ssed about the attempt to make him appear not Scottish.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 June 2009, 14:51.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    She could keep a few spare balls down there!
    I think she has a few spares.... plus a folding bed.... a settee.... a weeks supply of marshmallow..... and a couple of pets....

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    And as us English Brits have contributed overwhelmingly to his upbringing via the Barnet formula we are rightfully entitled to take a large slice of the credit for his success.
    Cyberman should be on your ignore list because he's a dickhead.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Murray just won so today he is British.

And as us English Brits have contributed overwhelmingly to his upbringing via the Barnet formula we are rightfully entitled to take a large slice of the credit for his success.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Do you reckon Andy Murray is as interesting to watch as Simona Halep?
    She could keep a few spare balls down there!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X