• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you miss England?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I miss good quality fish and chips, the Times Crossword, good ale, customer service, blue stilton cheese.
    Most of which are available here in NL. In fact the only one that isn't available here is 'customer service'. Is that when the shop assistant or telephonist says things like 'good afternoon' and 'please', 'thankyou' and 'just leave it with me and we'll repair it for you sir'?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      customer service...
      Was going to laugh at this but then I remembered Swiss customer "snapping".
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Was going to laugh at this but then I remembered Swiss customer "snapping".
        You need to experience Dutch Customer Shouting.

Comment

Well, I can get most of those things (except the customer service and good fish and chips), but they're very expensive.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I'll pass on the Netherlands as opposed to England.

Lived there for a year, and can say in all honestly it's the place I've lived that I liked least. Think a lot of that is down to the people, they're friendly enough on the surface but it's pretty hard to go beyond that I found - had Dutch people tell me that as well.

Plus the weather is as bad as Scotland's ...
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              On my last visit I got the impression that people have become more and more hurried and bad tempered,
              What has actually happened is that the Northern Irish are so laid back time almost goes into reverse. Hence when you return to England it appears to have all gone mad.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                What has actually happened is that the Northern Irish are so laid back time almost goes into reverse. Hence when you return to England it appears to have all gone mad.
                WHat's Northern Ireland got to do with it ?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  We are out of range of Iranian and Korean missiles
                  In which case they will "miss" England too.

Comment

I think it's a bit sad that so many pubs are chain-owned. They seem to become standardised and offer the same beer and food from Penzance to Newcastle. If I'm walking in the dales I don't really fancy eating Thai chicken with rice; somehow I'd prefer roast lamb.
                    One of the few reasons I've stayed in this country is because of the selection of privately owned village pubs, serving decent locally brewed real ales and freshly cooked local produce. It gives each region a certain uniqueness and identity and would be a tragic loss if the major pubco's got their way.

If you look hard enough you'll find interesting little pubs like this everywhere, but you need a good book like the 'good pub guide' or 'good beer guide'.

Comment

WHat's Northern Ireland got to do with it ?
                      Opps - thought you were working there.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X