• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you miss England?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Someone just asked me if I miss England. Difficult one really, seeing as I have the feeling that the England I miss doesn’t really exist. I miss seeing good-soon-to-be-great bands in a pub or a club. I miss the English countryside, friendly pubs with good food, people battling on through life with humour and good cheer, going to the rugby and watching a first class game, having a pint or two and a bacon sandwich for under a tenner, a feeling of real freedom (what happened to that?) and well-mannered people. The Lake District, the Malvern Hills and so on.
    You have described the West Country, every time I head east I notice the clouds darkening, the roads getting progressively busier, people being less polite, everything getting more expensive... etc etc.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      You have described the West Country, every time I head east I notice the clouds darkening, the roads getting progressively busier, people being less polite, everything getting more expensive... etc etc.
      Yeah W gingerjedi S

Somerset has some great little pubs. Out local serves decent homecooked food, and local ales.

Roads get busy on a Friday evening / Saturday morning, when every one is coming here from up north. ( Birmingham)
      Originally posted by cailin maith
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Ooh arr. Bristol being the epicentre of the civilised world.

Comment

He is describing great swathes of England (Scotland, Wales and Ireleand too) for the most part. There are lots of places that are not that ideal, but if you look you will find all those things in abundance and you rerally do not have to look that hard.

I have commuted to the mainland for over 10 years now and I do miss home. I often feel like leaving the UK altogether, but that is mostly due to reading too much news and being somewhat depressed when abroad.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Oi caaant reed or roite but oi can drive a tracteeer
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Miss it? I've never even tried to hit it.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                You have a talent for writing in a Bristol/West Country accent! I knew someone who claimed he could identify which part of Bristol someone came from by their accent.

Comment

Swindon

Comment

"Ark at eeh"

"Ooh arr" isn't Bristol, they have their own unique dialect.

HTH
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                      Should#t that be Tra-terrrrrr or Tra- errrr.
                      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                      X