• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MPs expenses - we're being manipulated into hysteria.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
    I think you raise a fair point. Who the hell is going to work away monday to friday and pay for their own "on the road" expenses for a paltry 65k.
    If you had to pay £65K a year to be an MP, the queue would still go round the block.

Of course, it would mean that MPs would be either:

Rich heirs.
    Criminals.
    Hard working people who've made a pile
    Lazy beggars who were just lucky.

Well, one out of four is still better than the current shower.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
      Who the hell is going to work away monday to friday and pay for their own "on the road" expenses for a paltry 65k.
      My local MP is also Sec of State for Wales on a (reported) salary of approx £140k. Last year he claimed £135k in expenses giving a total income (for want of a better word) of £270k!!!!

He allegedly had his boiler changed at tax payers expense (£3k) because the water was too hot!!!

I have no problem with MPs being paid fair expenses but Duck Houses, Moat Cleaning, Flipping etc is just taking the P1$$.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        While it is clear some of them have been taking the piss, if we all calm down and look at WHY the system is as it is.

Basically no PM (including Maggie) has been brave enough to listen to the recommendations of an independent body on MPs pay. MPs are told that it is an allowance to which they are entitled, not expenses.
        So much so that if an MP divorces, that allowance is added onto their base salary for the purpose of working out child support etc. So they've been treating their allowances as entitlements because that is what they are told - its a substitute for salary, to be done with as they wish.

Who is behind the Telegraph? The Barclay brothers, nuff said.
        Real question is what are they trying to do?

Not trying to defend MPs here, but I'm far more concerned of manipulation by non-elected powerful interests.
        So yesterday the f**witted sasguru was posting.

Please bring back the intelligent one.

Comment

agree with Sasguru ...overdone this expenses thing, but I think "outpouring of collective emotion" is the norm these days, makes us all feel better. In a couple of years it´ll have been completely forgotton.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            agree with Sasguru ...overdone this expenses thing, but I think "outpouring of collective emotion" is the norm these days, makes us all feel better. In a couple of years it´ll have been completely forgotton.
            Absolutely totally and completely wrong. This has zip do do with "outpouring of collective emotion" - think back a few weeks and people were hacked off with politicians anyway. They weren seen as lying, scheming two-faced gits who would do and say anything to get and retain power. Think about how the number of people voting has been dropping over recent years. Think about how hacked off people were that we have a PM without a mandate (yes it has happened before, but this time a blatant lie was told to get him into power).

What has changed, and why a huge number of people are moving on this, is that we now know that a sizable portion of MPs are also crooks. Add that to the incompetance of allowing our banking system to collapse and the cost to us of propping it up, to the sleeze when the last lot were in, to the handing over power to the EU when most people have made it clear they don't want that to happen, to the fact that they won't bring back the death penalty for kiddie-rapists when poll after poll shows that more than 70% of people want it, to the illegal war and the lies surrounding that, to the massive waste of public money ....and what you have here is something far more significant.

You must be living on a different planet if you can't see how different the political climate is now, and how bloody angry people are. A few weeks ago, hardly anyone was interested in politics - now you are hard pressed to find anyone who isn't!

Bottom line - MPs know they have to fix this, and fix our political system....or there will be riots that will make the race riots and the poll tax riots look like garden parties.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
              Bottom line - MPs know they have to fix this, and fix our political system....or there will be riots that will make the race riots and the poll tax riots look like garden parties.
              I believe you infer way too much ability on this government. UK MPs have been feathering their own nests going way back, someone even mentioned a quote from Cromwell about pretty much the same problem. The difference this time is the information has essentially come to the surface because of this current bunch of MPs utter incompetence in keeping it covered up in the first place.

The way they'll try and fix it will be the way they've tried to fix everything since they came to power. Some sudden knee jerk creating a flurry of woefully created legislation depriving you of yet more rights.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                I believe you infer way too much ability on this government. UK MPs have been feathering their own nests going way back, someone even mentioned a quote from Cromwell about pretty much the same problem. The difference this time is the information has essentially come to the surface because of this current bunch of MPs utter incompetence in keeping it covered up in the first place.

The way they'll try and fix it will be the way they've tried to fix everything since they came to power. Some sudden knee jerk creating a flurry of woefully created legislation depriving you of yet more rights.
                Where did I say anything about the government doing it?? It has gone way beyond that.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

YouTube: Gordon Brown phones a friend
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Everyone is angry now, and in 5 weeks?

Doubt that many people will remember it.

Lehman Brothers ...who?
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Expect loads of 'optimistic' rhetoric from the snot goblin, nuLieBore, BBC, etc.

That is the advise from Obama’s campaign team that is now working there dark arts here.

These are the people who invended the smiling Gordon (not safe after meals)
                      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                      X