• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did anyone read this in The Sun

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    The Sun has more ABC1 readers than all the broadsheets put together.
    Meanwhile, those of us who have mastered the rest of the alphabet read The Times.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

The Sun has more ABC1 readers than all the broadsheets put together. You'll find more copies of the Sun on trading floors in the City than the FT.

Page3.com is a required visit every day in my office.

Are you going to object to this from the Sun?

Trading floor Barrow boys read The Sun shocker! Maybe that's why UK finance got in such a mess!
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

This raises a more serious issue IMO which is that these credit reference agencies, and companies who use them, need to be more tightly regulated.

Essentially you've got minimum wage plebs messing around with data that can really screw with people's lives.

By way of an example, when I set up my Ltd a couple of years ago I moved my Orange mobile phone contract from a personal account to a business account. They sent a final bill for the personal account which I paid by cheque. However, they instead credited the cheque to the 'newly created' business account and put the personal account into default.

Even after I called Orange and corrected it, they still put a red missed payment alert on my credit file. Something I was only aware of because I pay for access to Experian through Identity Protection Plan.

I was able to get it taken off by Experian but the amount involved was trivial (£50 or something) and there are numerous tales of woe out there at the moment, relating to people not being able to roll over mortgages etc. for similar reasons.

Comment

Every time I hear stories like these, I'm reminded of the expression:

"If you're innocent you've nothing to fear"

Comment

As more use is made of background checks like this and the odious ID card then more people will find that their livelihoods destroyed. As the recession goes on many more people will have black marks against them. Some will be minor others greater. However, no matter how trivial it will be used to filter out applicants. Many of those who lose their jobs will never have a meaningful job again.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

As more use is made of background checks like this and the odious ID card then more people will find that their livelihoods destroyed. As the recession goes on many more people will have black marks against them. Some will be minor others greater. However, no matter how trivial it will be used to filter out applicants. Many of those who lose their jobs will never have a meaningful job again.
              Which will force more people to resort to fraud and other crimes, thereby proving the ID card thing to be snake oil. How long before employees of credit agencies and ID card agencies are caught accepting bribes from desperate members of the public?
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

How hard is it to disappear?

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                  The 37-year-old had fought off hundreds of rivals to be earmarked for a £400-a-day role.

Could be the new fight club.
                  You do NOT talk about fight club.
                  I thought everyone knew that.

Comment

And the shame of it is that "Mr Plenty Quickly" from Bombay with absolutely no U.K. credit history passes his anti-fraud, credit and legal checks with flying colours.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
                      And the shame of it is that "Mr Plenty Quickly" from Bombay with absolutely no U.K. credit history passes his anti-fraud, credit and legal checks with flying colours.

Yup. I've observed that.
                      In my own case at current client I had to go through all checks from records in country of my passport. Haven't lived in UK for nearly 11 years so utterly pointless. As the police HQ told me, I could have spent the last decade in a foreign jail and they would be none the wiser and give me a clean sheet.

Comment

Working...
                      X