• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was surprised that catholics don't do Good Friday - same in Paris.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
      Well, I guess some of them were working quite hard on the original Good Friday, what with all that crucifying to organise and so on. Maybe they're just commemorating that.
      Wait a minute, the Catholics killed Jesus? This would be time travelling clerics from a top-secret, clandestine faction of the Church's para-science division, acting on the pope's direct orders? Maybe the pope figured Jesus was getting in the way and sent said priests back in time to stop him?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Wait a minute, the Catholics killed Jesus? This would be time travelling clerics from a top-secret, clandestine faction of the Church's para-science division, acting on the pope's direct orders? Maybe the pope figured Jesus was getting in the way and sent said priests back in time to stop him?
        Why the '?'?

The Pope takes Charmin to the forest don't you know.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

What made me laugh is that in this backward country, nothing is open Easter Sunday & B&Q had a full car park of people trying to get in - the store employed 6 people to walk round & say "We're closed" - why not just open the feckin' store?!!

*sigh*

Comment

Because there is one Sunday a year when shops can't open. That's Easter Sunday. Go to many European countries and you'll find them mostly shut down.

On an expats forum there's been a thread, posted to largely by whinging australians and yanks, about the fact that Switzerland is closed on Good Friday. They seem to think they have a human right to be able to shop 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year round.

"I don't remember the masses rising up and demanding 24 hour shopping in GB. It was retailer pressure coming from the supermarket chains and their powerful lobby groups who led us into this convenience mindset, promoting the idea of shopping for leisure rather than shopping for essentials to squeeze maximum juice out of the consumer. It's all about profits rather changing lives for the better. First it was late night extended shopping hours, then Sunday shopping and then when they got all that it was 24 hour shopping. Once that mindset takes hold in the consumer there's no going back. It changes expectations and people want the flexibility even if the majority don't use it that often by heading out to the supermarket at 3am."
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Well Tiberius Caesar was pontifex maximus ("supreme pontiff") at the time.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Uh, yeah, I was thinking more of...

Italy don't have good friday off as a holiday

Comment

Working...
                X