• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MP's expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cybersquatter View Post
    Here's what I don't get: if a contractor claimed the sort of expenses these MPs are claiming for working out of town, they'd have HMRC coming down on them for tax like a ton of bricks.

I know there's the usual 'one rule for them' sigh-and-tut response - but really - why don't HMRC give a damn?
    Totally agree -it's ridiculous.

Comment

Anyone remember Berlusconi (sp?) bringing in legislation to make something he had done legal ?

what are the chances that this lot will bring in some retrospective legislation at some point to make some of their dodgy dealings leal ?

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
        I don't think the sleaze matters. In comparison with the lie about the "weapons of mass destruction", a few millions being stolen off the taxpayer to line their pockets are not important. Especially compared to their incompetence and mismanagement, anyway.

Thousands of civilians have been killed.

Scores of people have been tortured.

How about we pay all these cabinet ministers and ex-cabinet ministers £10,000,000 tax-free to leave office. (It's cheaper than baling out the banks.)

But on condition they stand trial for the consequences of their lies.

I bet they wouldn't take the money.

Most Tories voted for the war with Iraq. My (Labour) MP at the time voted against. We would've had the war if the Tories had been in power. I was against it then and I still am.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          Anyone remember Berlusconi (sp?) bringing in legislation to make something he had done legal ?

what are the chances that this lot will bring in some retrospective legislation at some point to make some of their dodgy dealings leal ?

Zero. Apart form anything else, it would almost certainly contravene Human Rights legislation.

Also whilst McNulty is twisting git, he hasn't done anything illegal (except in the court of you know where!).

What is the Italian legislation you're talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            Zero. Apart form anything else, it would almost certainly contravene Human Rights legislation.

Also whilst McNulty is twisting git, he hasn't done anything illegal (except in the court of you know where!).

What is the Italian legislation you're talking about?
            this is one of them. I was a bit suprised to find a fair few examples

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7474474.stm

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Interesting (yes, it's another slow day at ClientCo) snippet on the Guardian data blog today showing a Google Maps mashup of MP's travel expenses by distance: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...houseofcommons

The full map is here.
              Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Working...
              X