• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MP's expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CyberToryCentralOfficeAutomataton View Post
    At a time when HMG will be seeking higher taxes from every person to pay enormous debts caused by them, trousering tens of thousands by dubious expense claims is going to make these self-centred Labour hypocrites as hated as bankers.
    What about all the Tories "trousering" the large sums - are they not hypocrites because we all expect them to be sleazy?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      What about all the Tories "trousering" the large sums - are they not hypocrites because we all expect them to be sleazy?

Name them. All of them should be answerable to the public that pay their salaries and expenses and if they are proven to be morally bankrupt such as McNulty and Jackie Smith, they should resign. It does appear though that Labour are the real hypocrites having preached ' whiter than white'.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
        Name them. All of them should be answerable to the public that pay their salaries and expenses and if they are proven to be morally bankrupt such as McNulty and Jackie Smith, they should resign. It does appear though that Labour are the real hypocrites having preached ' whiter than white'.
        Hamilton

Comment

Here's what I don't get: if a contractor claimed the sort of expenses these MPs are claiming for working out of town, they'd have HMRC coming down on them for tax like a ton of bricks.

I know there's the usual 'one rule for them' sigh-and-tut response - but really - why don't HMRC give a damn?

Comment

I've claimed expenses in permie job that have been more than many MPs.

It wasn't a perk. I was just claiming expenses.

So if I had to work in a different location I stayed in a hotel and claimed it back. It was just something you do to get your business done. Spending 20k on hotels a year isn't that uncommon for people who work away a lot.

Nobody becomes an MP for the money.

It is all a piece of nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
              I've claimed expenses in permie job that have been more than many MPs.

It wasn't a perk. I was just claiming expenses.

So if I had to work in a different location I stayed in a hotel and claimed it back. It was just something you do to get your business done. Spending 20k on hotels a year isn't that uncommon for people who work away a lot.

Nobody becomes an MP for the money.

It is all a piece of nonsense.
              So have I. But claiming legitimate expenses for hotels is completely different to kitting out a second home 11 miles away with taxpayers' money.

Could you have claimed a £200-a-night per diem? Could you have claimed for a fridge and a plasma TV? I doubt it. But if you were an MP, until recently you could.

Comment

completely agree with cybersquatter.

First home 8 miles from work place and second one 11 miles, not exactly a huge difference really

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  Hamilton
                  Not sure what that means - he took cash for questions and paid the price although not admitting his guilt.

BLAIR - manipulated data to get us into a war in Iraq,
                  - took money a million off Ecclestone in return for allowing
                  tobacco to be reprieved for a few years
                  - took money off private equity managers - tax law changed in their
                  favour
                  - took free holidays all round the words
                  etc etc etc

Labour incompetence, corruption and sleaze beggars belief ...

Comment

I don't think the sleaze matters. In comparison with the lie about the "weapons of mass destruction", a few millions being stolen off the taxpayer to line their pockets are not important. Especially compared to their incompetence and mismanagement, anyway.

Thousands of civilians have been killed.

Scores of people have been tortured.

How about we pay all these cabinet ministers and ex-cabinet ministers £10,000,000 tax-free to leave office. (It's cheaper than baling out the banks.)

But on condition they stand trial for the consequences of their lies.

I bet they wouldn't take the money.
                    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                      Sir Nicholas and Ann Winterton

Conservative-MPs-Sir-Nicholas-and-Ann-Winterton-broke-Commons-expenses-rules

Derek Conway

BTW I agree Smith and McNulty are scum and should go - unlike you I don't think the Tories would be much better - based on their past record.

Comment

Working...
                      X