• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FSA to cap mortgage borrowing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    I doubt it. Anybody got money in Irish Banks ? Get it out FAST !!!!

Comment

Christ, It's just struck me.

This isn't about a sudden fit of prudence in not lending more than people can afford to repay. The Government must know damn well it will soon cause property prices to plummet, and their already dire ratings with it, and more and more people to go into negative equity.

No, it's rationing!

Obviously, one way or another, the banks and building societies just don't have enough net funds (taking into account their toxic assets still swilling around) to lend any more.

Or am I being silly, and queazing should take care of that?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

This isn't about a sudden fit of prudence in not lending more than people can afford to repay. The Government must know damn well it will soon cause property prices to plummet, and their already dire ratings with it, and more and more people to go into negative equity.

No, it's rationing!

Obviously, one way or another, the banks and building societies just don't have enough net funds (taking into account their toxic assets still swilling around) to lend any more.

Maybe letting good old hyperinflation rip, sorry unrestrained queazing*, is the best plan?

*We could do with a nice euphemism for printing money like there is no tomorrow. Do you think Labour have one already lined up?

Comment

On the one hand, a 3X multiplier would cap my borrowing at about £200k. On the other hand I wouldn't want a mortgage for over about 210k anyway... and I am quite happy to sit and wait for prices to plummet before buying.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            On the one hand, a 3X multiplier would cap my borrowing at about £200k. On the other hand I wouldn't want a mortgage for over about 210k anyway... and I am quite happy to sit and wait for prices to plummet before buying.
            It will be interesting to see what happens.

Increasing the multiplier has enabled house price growth to outsrip earnings growth by such a large amount in recent years. By removing this stimulation the two will have to realign and that will be painful.

Either house prices will have to drop significantly (which they might), or incomes will have to rise significantly (which they will if you have a good burst of old-fashioned, seventies and eighties style inflation).

Either outcome will not be very pretty.

Comment

If you can only borrow 3 time income then the first time buyers will only be able to pay X.

This means the people who are moving up from their 2 bed street house will only have a modest (and currently a loss) gain in equity.

It is going to freeze the housing market.

On the plus side, chavs with no money or jobs will not be able to buy anything.

I can also confirm that if you wander in to any high street bank with 25 % deposit they are willing to lend you quite stupid sums of money.

Apparently I can borrow 450K with very few questions and a quite low interest rate.
              "All around me I see chaos and confusion, my work here is done...."

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

No, it's rationing!

Gosh : how did people ever last before the 1970s when you could only borrow 3 times?

Oh yeah : there was prudence and people saved up for stuff.

Though limiting people to 3*salary doesnt make much difference as far too many hauses are bought for cash. First time buyers still dont get a look in.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                  It will be interesting to see what happens.

Increasing the multiplier has enabled house price growth to outsrip earnings growth by such a large amount in recent years. By removing this stimulation the two will have to realign and that will be painful.

Either house prices will have to drop significantly (which they might), or incomes will have to rise significantly (which they will if you have a good burst of old-fashioned, seventies and eighties style inflation).

Either outcome will not be very pretty.
                  The trouble with relying on inflation to bail us all out is wage inflation has lagged real inflation for over a decade - why would it catch up in the future - especially in a recession/near depression when employers hold all the cards?

Look at permie job salaries in IT, or contract rates for that matter. They are not much higher now than they were in 1999/2000, and could easily head lower. In fact it's quite incredible when you realise how good we had it back then in relation to house prices, even as permies.

Comment

My sister-in-law (the one that got into BTL big time just as the bubble ended) has bought a new build house (at near the peak) which is due for completion in a few months.

I wonder if this law will affect her existing mortgage offer? I'm sure she's borrowed at least 10x her salary.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      My sister-in-law (the one that got into BTL big time just as the bubble ended) has bought a new build house (at near the peak) which is due for completion in a few months.

I wonder if this law will affect her existing mortgage offer? I'm sure she's borrowed at least 10x her salary.

The government would NEVER do retrospective legislation would it?

Comment

Working...
                      X