• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FSA to cap mortgage borrowing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    Possibly.....but that would need to be handled very carefully, otherwise the rental sector would suffer a collapse too because people would just try to pass the tax onto tenants.
    It would certainly be a nightmare to implement. Maybe first step is disallowing mortgage tax relief on rental income?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      It would certainly be a nightmare to implement. Maybe first step is disallowing mortgage tax relief on rental income?
      I do like the idea...but as you say, a nightmare to implement. Second homes are one of the big contributors to house price inflation, and a huge factor in village life being eroded away.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I made an offer on a house at the weekend, less than 10% below asking price, cash purchase. Vendors came back 5 minutes later saying they will only accept offers over the asking price.

To buy the house I was looking at would require a salary of over £250K pa. under the new rules.

And then you woke up and had a cup of tea. Nice.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Where can you sign up for a job like that where you get to state the obvious?

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
            I do like the idea...but as you say, a nightmare to implement. Second homes are one of the big contributors to house price inflation, and a huge factor in village life being eroded away.
            Leading to direct job losses as local shops and pubs close down due to lack of customers.

Comment

There will be pain for those who thought the temporarily inflated price of their home made them rich.

And especially for those who extended their borrowings on the back of it.

But they didn't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by bren586 View Post
                And as it is bound to be posted

Stable door.

Indeed. I was suggesting measures such as this over two years ago. About time !!!

Comment

Conspiracy theory:

They announce this, causing a rush of house buying as people try to beat the deadline for the introduction of the new rules. Sometime later, the new rules are quietly dropped. And because buying activity has picked up, the government can announce that the market has recovered.

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                    Indeed. I was suggesting measures such as this over two years ago. About time !!!
                    If only the government had listened to your recommendations, none of this would have happened

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                      If you'rer such a visionary, economic whiz how come you still chase 40k permie jobs and didn't sell your house 2 years ago

Comment

Working...
                      X