• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FSA to cap mortgage borrowing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let us prevent the ill-effects of second homes by putting a cap on income so that no-one can afford to buy a second home.

Or how about a Supertax? It was 95% when Brown and Darling joined the Labour Party, I'm sure they remember it with affection.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      If you'rer such a visionary, economic whiz how come you still chase 40k permie jobs and didn't sell your house 2 years ago

I did put my house on the market almost two years ago, but as soon as the banking crisis hit, I decided not to sell because it was obvious to me at that time that holding a property is far safer than risking cash in a multitude of banks where only up to 30K at the time was guaranteed. I would have needed ten bank accounts, so pretty wise methinks !!

Comment

A 3X limit will surely have a massive impact. Banning 100% mortgages is pretty meaningless now but I was told only last week by my mortgage advisor that most banks still work at 4X.

Wonder if it will actually go through?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
          I did put my house on the market almost two years ago, but as soon as the banking crisis hit, I decided not to sell because it was obvious to me at that time that holding a property is far safer than risking cash in a multitude of banks where only up to 30K at the time was guaranteed. I would have needed ten bank accounts, so pretty wise methinks !!
          If only we had all listened to the sage of cybertoryshire.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            If only we had all listened to the sage of cybertoryshire.

Yes indeed. For a start, if HMG had told Northern Rock account holders that their money was guaranteed we would not have seen a run on the bank. The question is though, were the incompetent HMG aware that a guarantee had been in place since 1982 ?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              A 3X limit will surely have a massive impact. Banning 100% mortgages is pretty meaningless now but I was told only last week by my mortgage advisor that most banks still work at 4X.

Wonder if it will actually go through?
              I was quoted around 6x by Abbey just last week. My current mortgage is with them and I rang to see how much i could borrow for a move up. They came up with over double the amount i needed with no requirement for accounts etc. My FA's advise that self cert and no accounts arent a problem either and are quoting the same rates as the mainstream banks for tracker and fixed price mortgages. A 25%+ deposit goes a long way at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                Cretin.

By the time the further 50% drop in house prices takes place, you'll wish you had "risked" the banks.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

fair doos...

sas 1 cyberman 0

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Cretin.

By the time the further 50% drop in house prices takes place, you'll wish you had "risked" the banks.

I doubt it. Anybody got money in Irish Banks ? Get it out FAST !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bren586 View Post
                      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...borrowing.html

"FSA to cap mortgages at max 3 times salary and min 5% deposit."

Is this not going to drive down the price of houses ?

average salary = 24,000 (Aug 2008)

Max mortgage for a single is now 72,000 + 3600 for the deposit.

I assume that they will allow some contribution from the partner but if it was as when I bought my first house then that was just X1

That would make it £96000 top whack for Mr and Mrs average.

I do not see this working for years - all that will happen is people will not be able to move.
                      Yup, they really are as mad as hatters (especially regarding the deposit).
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X