• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cybersharps outplay poker websites

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show us your bots!

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      That really is the key point, you don't want to be pitting your bot against potentially good players in a high-stakes game.

Eventually, it will be a case of who has the better bot!
      Eventually, yes, but not yet. Setting up bots takes a lot of time and effort. It's not a case of simply downloading the bot app and running it. It needs to be configured to play the way you want it to play, it needs a specific PC configuration to do it without getting caught and they need constant tinkering to keep up with changes on the poker sites. To run an effective poker bot operation that is going to make money is a full time programming job in itself.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Winning at poker against good players requires a lot of complex game theory and other mathematics... not something easy and deterministic. But, as someone said, on the noob tables (the low stakes) you don't need anything as clever.

The point is, even if your bot averages only a pretty conservative £1/hour on 1p/2p table, if you run bots on 10 tables at once, 24 hours a day, then you're up to £240/day... in fact more since that's 365 days a year... it works out as more like £350/day if you average over 48 working weeks per year.

However I wouldn't personally want to use someone else's bot. I'd rather develop an algorithm, force myself to play using it, and test it works before coding it up.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Surely a set of CAPTCHA tests throughout the game will separate the bots from the humans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

i.e. at random points in a game present a CAPTCHA for the human players to easily pass, meanwhile the bots are generally fooked.

And alternative is MAPTCHA, where the human must answer a simple math test:

http://blogs.crammerz-inc.net/media/...random.irb.png

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Winning at poker against good players requires a lot of complex game theory and other mathematics...
            basic probability theory and psychological nous.

HTH
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              basic probability theory and psychological nous.

HTH
              No that's what humans need. To model this in software is a complex task because poker has such a human element. That's where game theory comes in. It's a very hard game to 'solve' - your algorithm has to be able to cope with both very good and very bad players which in itself is not a simple thing.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Surely a set of CAPTCHA tests throughout the game will separate the bots from the humans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

i.e. at random points in a game present a CAPTCHA for the human players to easily pass, meanwhile the bots are generally fooked.

And alternative is MAPTCHA, where the human must answer a simple math test:

http://blogs.crammerz-inc.net/media/...random.irb.png
                You can do it at login, but even that will piss people off. If you frequently get interrupted - especially by captchas which many people find hard to read - people will simply go to another site.
                Besides, there's a whole industry in developing captcha-breaking software.

Comment

You can do it at login, but even that will piss people off. If you frequently get interrupted - especially by captchas which many people find hard to read - people will simply go to another site.
                  Besides, there's a whole industry in developing captcha-breaking software.
                  You need KittenCha, or whatever it was called. Makes you decide if a picture is a kitten or a puppy, apparently quite hard for a computer but pretty easy for a human.

And who doesn't like looking at pictures of kittens & puppies?
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Still problematic as this is exactly what neural networks can be trained to do. Any site with a "cha" of any sort needs to offer a "I can't tell what this is, show me another" button, which is great for obtaining training data for a NN.

It's not an easy thing to break these tools, but if money is involved you have to expect some very smart people to be motivated.

Comment

It's not an easy thing to break these tools, but if money is involved you have to expect some very smart people to be motivated.
                      So Atw won't be working on this then?

Comment

Working...
                      X