• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Civil Liberties: RIP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I presume you're talking about the SuS law in the early 80's introduced by Thatcher? I was stopped a couple of times during this period but it was mainly young black people who were stopped by the police which led to the Brixton and St. Paul riots. The law was repealed in late '81 but really the burning question now is that during Thatcher's regime people would get off their arses and march (I remember going to many a rally in London where up to a million people would be there) yet now, no-one can be bothered to get off their fat arses? Is this due to society now being complacent, everything is handed to them on a plate or the British electorate is in fact in love with the current bunch of fools leading them off the cliffs like a bunch of lemmings?
    I would go an riot but it clashes with Celebrity Mime Acts on Ice.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      I would go an riot but it clashes with Celebrity Mime Acts on Ice.
      That's why they get away with it - the total apathy of the British population.

I'm not saying I'm any better than anyone else in that regard though.

Bread and circuses.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        **** that. Islington pubs off the list.

Indeed probably the Met Police area as a whole. And the whole of England probably.
        You can still have a beer in your own home without being watched. Until web cams are mandatory.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          I was stopped a couple of times during this period but it was mainly young black people who were stopped by the police which led to the Brixton and St. Paul riots.
          Dressed like that? And you are surprised how?

Maybe the police simply mistook you for a black person.

Comment

Magna Carta in tatters

International Privacy Ranking

"England & Wales separated from Scotland for the first time in 2007 report."

On a scale of 1 (bad) - 5 (good):

England and Wales: 1.4 (almost = Russia & China) "endemic surveillance society"
            Scotland: 2.5 (= Finland, better than Switzerland & New Zealand)

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
              You can still have a beer in your own home without being watched. Until web cams are mandatory.
              I'd secretly love to be watched in my own home - there's something very about that!
              The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                I'd secretly love to be watched in my own home - there's something very about that!
                What's the Netmeeting handle???Skype address???

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                  I AM watching you.......

Nice curtains by the way

Comment

The potential for surveillance of citizens in public spaces.
                    Hang on, I thought this was a thread concerning civil rights, not dogging!

Comment

Erk. That makes for sobering reading.

Comment

Working...
                      X