• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Civil Liberties: RIP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That means anyone taking a picture of one of those people could face a fine or a prison sentence of up to 10 years, if a link to terrorism is proved.
    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
      That means anyone taking a picture of one of those people could face a fine or a prison sentence of up to 10 years, if a link to terrorism is proved.
      Wont stop them arresting and putting people in the cells overnight.

Just about everything is illegal these days.

Comment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ice-state.html

Comment

Nonetheless, you will still be treated like a common criminal and subjected to all the attendant stress and indignities that come with that before you are deemed as being innocent.

Comment

Where do I buy a V mask?

I think we need to organise some non-violent civil disobedience.
            Originally posted by cailin maith
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
              Where do I buy a V mask?

I think we need to organise some non-violent civil disobedience.
              I am sure HAB will be advertising that November 5th demo again.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                Nonetheless, you will still be treated like a common criminal and subjected to all the attendant stress and indignities that come with that before you are deemed as being innocent.
                I just thnk this reaction is a little OTT - the whole "stop and search" laws had people in uproar too, and I have never been stopped and searched like a "common criminal" yet - neither has anyone I know.
                And that's probably way more likely than this dont you think?

How often do people actually take photos of the police and armed forces anyway?
                Last edited by SallyAnne; 17 February 2009, 08:33.
                The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                  No doubt the photographs/video will be deleted before the camera is returned too.

Of course if arrested you would be printed, photographed and DNA samples taken and associated with an arrest under terrorism laws on the databases too. Not a healthy or happy situation.

Comment

I have never been stopped and searched like a "common criminal" yet
                    That's because your not a 21 year old black or Asian male.
                    Originally posted by cailin maith
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

The BBC article says

It permits the arrest of anyone found "eliciting, publishing or communicating information" relating to members of the armed forces, intelligence services and police officers, which is "likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism".
                      On reading more carefully, that is not what the paragraph above means. It may be what the BBC journalist thinks it should mean, but it certainly is not what it says. The BBC are wrong to say that that is what the law means.

The law says "likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism". Arguably any photograph that shows such officers is likely to be useful to someone preparing an act of terrorism, if only because it shows that such officers may be in that place.

I for one am not at all happy about any government introducing a law and then promising only to use it sensibly. Certainly not a government that sets up CCTV for security and anti-terrorism, and then uses the images to check that citizens are not dumping too much recyclable rubbish or claiming to live in the wrong school catchment area.
                      Last edited by expat; 17 February 2009, 08:42.

Comment

Working...
                      X