• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How on earth do we get out of this economic meltdown mess?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    True but what do we do instead? Engineering and manufacturing? That will take a generation or more to turn around again.
    You're quite right. But what we have now is a culture of making and buying crap we don't need. When the house of cards starts to fall, people stop buying said crap and people realise the emperor has no clothes on.

If civilisation constantly chases the pound and constantly wants bigger profits than last year then ultimately we are going nowhere...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
      There is no doubt that the depression helped Hitler, but there is also no doubt that he would have found other means of achieving power if that event had not occurred. WW2 would still have happened IMO.
      On what evidence do you base that?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        On what evidence do you base that?

Hitler was evil and a tyrant and excellent leadership material, and was hell bent on achieving his aims, and the Germans were biding their time for an opportune moment for revenge on their enemies since the first world war.

The depression provided that opportunity, but if the depression had not happened when it did, it would probably have happened a few years later anyway. Busts always happen eventually regardless of what the naive Labour lot believe, and that would have been the catalyst that Hitler required.

Comment

It's funny, there have been libraries full of books written on the causes of the first world war, and the strategy and tactics of the second.
          Virtually none on the causes of the second world war and the strategy and tactics of the first

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            It's funny, there have been libraries full of books written on the causes of the first world war, and the strategy and tactics of the second.
            Virtually none on the causes of the second world war and the strategy and tactics of the first

Was it Blackadder who said the strategy was to march slowly into no-mans land? Considering the senseless waste of human life it sounds about right.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Was it Blackadder who said the strategy was to march slowly into no-mans land? Considering the senseless waste of human life it sounds about right.
              Well, that's the myth. The facts tell a different story though. I guess a lot comes down to the stupidity of a few people in key positions.

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                Hitler was evil and a tyrant and excellent leadership material, and was hell bent on achieving his aims, and the Germans were biding their time for an opportune moment for revenge on their enemies since the first world war.

The depression provided that opportunity, but if the depression had not happened when it did, it would probably have happened a few years later anyway. Busts always happen eventually regardless of what the naive Labour lot believe, and that would have been the catalyst that Hitler required.
                Your scenario still states a depression was required for Hitler to gain power.

My question was, what evidence do you have for your earlier statement that Hitler would still have gained power if a depression had NOT occurred?

I believe the odds were heavily against it. People like that gain power when all around them are weak, desperate, or usually both.

Comment

My question was, what evidence do you have for your earlier statement that Hitler would still have gained power if a depression had NOT occurred?

I believe the odds were heavily against it. People like that gain power when all around them are weak, desperate, or usually both.
                  This is called the 'CounterFactual Conditional Concept' of history. otherwise known as a 'What-if'.

I KNEW that history degree would come in useful some day

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

A bust does not necessarily mean a depression. A recession would have been sufficient catalyst IMO, and recessions occur every 7-10 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X