• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you have a game console ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by expat

I completely disagree, I see the exact opposite. Where to start? Well, in a game you make decisions, but it's just a game - it's a diversion. It's only something to do to fill in time. You may expend brain power, but after it, what have you gained? What is in your brain that wasn't in it before? Nothing, apart from a better knowledge of the game itself.
    Some games are akin to films, in the sense that they have a storyline that, if well written, is thought provoking and does leave you with something, long after the game has been uninstalled.

A film is a creative work - not yours certainly but the director's, maybe the writer's and actors'. You think about it and that is what makes it worthwhile. It is not just to fill up time (if that's all it is for then it is a piece of worthless junk).
    Surely a game is also a creative work, in the same ilk ? Someone had to create it, someone had to give it context, inject it with drama and suspense, make it challenging, etc.

In fact, this is where a film falls down. It's a passive activity. Suppose you want the protagonist to take a different course of action ? You can't. You are only passively consuming the vision that the director and scriptwriters deign you consume.

After you have watched a film, your brain has absorbed input, and generated its own thoughts, and will continue to do so in the future as you reflect on it and fit it in your view of the world and your ways of thinking and seeing. If it didn't do that, then either the film is trash or your brain is switched off. When I think of film I don't think of mind-numbing opiate.
    Apart from a handful of films, I cannot recall the great majority of being anything more than eye-candy. Turn on, watch, turn off, do something else instead. It's a passive pasttime.

As I said, the exact opposite: any film of any worth will make you think; some games may rise to making you think a little.
    Agreed on the first part, but there are a number of games which have a message to convey, and more importantly, you can interact with the game.

Whether you think Die Hard is trash or not is a moot point.

The question beckons.

Do you want to slob out with a bucket of popcorn on the sofa and watch the film, or do you want to interact and be a part of it ?

I would suggest that many people are content to be served their film on a plate. Others prefer to live the film and make their own desicions.

Both are equally valid, as it depends on personal preference. I can appreciate both equally.

What I cannot appreciate is comments like :

Shimano105 posted : Not a film buff but give me a good film any day over a saddo game.
    I play games as a major past time, be they pen and paper RPG's, board games, computer games, story-telling games, etc.

I find it quite sad that some people lack the imagination or the creativity to engage in games of various degrees, especially those that require a high degree of imagination and/or characterisation.

Such people may counter that games are "childish", whereas in fact it's them that have the problem, usually self-repression and fear of playful engagement.

The curious thing is that the type of people who are averse to games, still enjoy their football or sports, which are in essence, games of competition, albeit on a much more subconcious tribal level. However, they are still games.

I think for some, it's not the fear of the game that is the problem, it's the fear of others who may critique the person for playing the game in the first place.

This typically denotes low self-esteem and a desire to be accepted by the majority, even if it means sacrificing one's individuality.
    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 10 February 2009, 00:44.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
      It cost nowhere near 5K, and the graphics are a hell of a lot prettier. Almost immeasurably so at 2560 x 1800. You really cannot compare a PS3 or Xbox graphics to a decent GFX card (or 4 in SLI)
      The point of a console is you don't sit close enough to see the pixels. Sitting on a sofa with a console running HD on a 50" screen is better than sitting at your desk a few inches away from your 30" super high-res monitor in my book.

Although, I can't get used to playing games like COD without a mouse.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by bodnobal View Post
        I have a Commodore 64 does that still count as a console. At least you could cut your teeth and learn programming on that thing, try that on these new Xbox and Playstation thingies.

Jeff Minter I've hear is still coding his Llamas .
        You can code in C# (using XNA) on your PC, and have it run on your 360. Easy.

Comment

BGG, as always, makes some good points. However, perhaps it's just me, but after spending all day in front of a screen, the last thing I want to be doing is coming home and - oh, wait. Gah.

Seriously though, prefer playing backgammon with a real, beaten up old board than on screen. And articulate's not a bad board game. Just never got into using computers for serious gaming.

Comment

Reality Hack posted : Seriously though, prefer playing backgammon with a real, beaten up old board than on screenboard
            Now that's a good game, and yes, after a barmy day by the river, in a village pub as the sun goes down, getting out the backgammon (or chess) for a friendly over a pint of your favourite is quite pleasant too.

For the more traditional games, a human opponent is far more preferable than a computer (AI) one, IMHO.
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Anytime, mate.

I'll bring the knackered old set to one of the river pubs. Guinness is it?

Comment

Reality Hack posted : I'll bring the knackered old set to one of the river pubs. Guinness is it?
                Aye, though I have been know to drink Ale on occassion, so that would seem appropriate as well.

Damn shame I missed the Xmas Do.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  You can code in C# (using XNA) on your PC, and have it run on your 360. Easy.
                  I think you missed my point entirely, but all the best in getting your 12 year old learning C# (using XNA). Sounds fune but are there any magazines you can type in 1,000 lines of code (using XNA).

Comment

I think you missed my point entirely, but all the best in getting your 12 year old learning C# (using XNA). Sounds fune but are there any magazines you can type in 1,000 lines of code (using XNA).
                    If I can learn C at 11 and start with C++ at 13, mucking about with DOS Interrupt 21 (IIRC) and VESA paged memory addressing (ugh), a smart 12-year-old can figure out C#.

And why would anyone be reading a magazine... you can get a skeleton project/app off the web and start adding code to it in a similar way, loading 3D models and so on.

Comment

Do you even know what XNA is by the way? Your idiotic sarcasm suggests not.

Comment

Working...
                      X