• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Trials and Tribulations of a Top-Notch Developer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Bat girl costume?....

'Ere, is that you, Denise?
    No, it's Derek.

Comment

>Robin, looking at Batgirl: "You know something, Batman?"
      >Batman: "What's that, Robin?"
      >Robin: "She looks very pretty when she's asleep."
      >Batman: "I thought you might eventually notice that. That single statement indicates to me the first oncoming thrust of manhood, old chum."

Mmm I feel my thrusting manhood oncoming.

Comment

MDA. Nothing to stop it happening 20 years ago. The slight flaw in all great methods that supposedly let your granny code a complete trading system in a day are that it always requires your granny to be a genious expert in the first place and even then it seems to take her 50 man years. 40 man years of that is taken up to figuring out what the explanation of the methodology actually means.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

That is the nub of the matter. Every 5 years or so someone comes along with some product called QuikCode or somesuch that is going to make all developers redundant. The usual result is that even more developers are needed than before to sort out the mess and confusion the new methodology has caused.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
            That is the nub of the matter. Every 5 years or so someone comes along with some product called QuikCode or somesuch that is going to make all developers redundant. The usual result is that even more developers are needed than before to sort out the mess and confusion the new methodology has caused.
            Isn't that Microsoft? Every 5 years or so they rename and rewrite everything so as to create jobs for us lot. DDE became Com became Active X etc. Is it Ego-Wank version 15.4b now?

I gave up caring about 'beautiful code' years ago. What matters is providing a solution for the client, rather than the most perfect solution to the problem. That means taking into account practicalities i.e. cost, reliability, timescales maintainability etc. Some of my code has been less than ideal, but it did the job, was reliable, was out the door on time, sold the product, earned the money, and will be discarded in a year or two. Some of my code was neat (IMO) but that was when I had the time to do it from scratch. There's no point in spending a week doing something when a day will do, but that's not to say that it shouldn't be done well when the task merits it.

Anyway, I s'pose I'm a complete hypocrite given past history.

Fungus.

Comment

Fungus ? Is that really you ??
              I always loved the way you sniffed your trousers first thing in the morning.
              True class !

However, back to reality... Orientals eh ?

Shag 'em stupid given half a chance. Wouldn't you ?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                MDA. Nothing to stop it happening 20 years ago. The slight flaw in all great methods that supposedly let your granny code a complete trading system in a day are that it always requires your granny to be a genious expert in the first place and even then it seems to take her 50 man years. 40 man years of that is taken up to figuring out what the explanation of the methodology actually means.
                And so like a good soldier you learn the whole damn methodology and either it goes out of fashion within a summer like a "Frankie Says..." T-shirt or you turn up for the job interview (where they say you must have this skill) and the first question they ask is... "Write me a custom template iterator" .

Last edited by TwoWolves; 1 October 2005, 08:20.

Comment

What matters is providing a solution for the client, rather than the most perfect solution to the problem. That means taking into account practicalities i.e. cost, reliability, timescales maintainability
                  Eeeer! yuk! I agree with original poster. What the hell does the client know? The bastards should be fawningly grateful for whatever we feel like producing. As for other inferior hands tampering with our sacred code, that's an abomination and perpetrators should be SHOT.

PS On subject of great development, I understand a glowing review of "Pants UK" is to be published soon by a significant science education. If the comments on the program are as good as I have heard second hand, I will post it on CUK. Again and again and again and again .....

PPS ..and again and again and..
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                  X