• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When did the BBC News site get adverts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    I don't like ads. I really really don't like ads. I like the BBC not having ads. ISTM that that is part of the implied deal with licence-payers, that we pay the licence fee to fund the BBC, and in return they don't give us ads.

Nothing wrong with the BBC having ads, for those who use it but don't pay BBC funding otherwise; but those who do pay the licence funding should get the no-ads deal.

You may not care if you have to see ads; I do.
    Has the BBC contractually committed to not displaying ads on its site? If the BBC can prevent future increases in its license fee by utilising alternative sources of income is that a bad thing?

Comment

I don't like ads. I really really don't like ads. I like the BBC not having ads. ISTM that that is part of the implied deal with licence-payers, that we pay the licence fee to fund the BBC, and in return they don't give us ads.

Nothing wrong with the BBC having ads, for those who use it but don't pay BBC funding otherwise; but those who do pay the licence funding should get the no-ads deal.

You may not care if you have to see ads; I do.
      How are you going to prove you are a license payer from a hotel room abroad? Phone up the BBC and say "my IP address is X, my license number is Y, please turn off the ads"?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Perhaps you'd be prepared to explain the technology required to achieve this. Don't forget to give a reasonable estimate of the costs necessary to enable checking of every news.bbc.co.uk visitor against the TV Licensing database, remembering to allow for proxy servers and NAT routers having many users behind one IP address

Comment

I wish the BBC would save some money and scrap the new animated weather maps. I don't mind the animations, but the forecasts are so long and boring I can barely watch them to the end. They zoom in on areas 99% of people have no interest in, solely, it appears, because they have the technology available to do so. I've no interest in seeing the Slough's weather in detail, just a picture of the whole UK and the whole forecast covered in 1 minute would be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            How are you going to prove you are a license payer from a hotel room abroad? Phone up the BBC and say "my IP address is X, my license number is Y, please turn off the ads"?
            Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Perhaps you'd be prepared to explain the technology required to achieve this. Don't forget to give a reasonable estimate of the costs necessary to enable checking of every news.bbc.co.uk visitor against the TV Licensing database, remembering to allow for proxy servers and NAT routers having many users behind one IP address
            Of course, you're right. Nobody does subscription service for anything, do they? It just wouldn't work, and shouldn't even be suggested!

Nattering nabobs of negativism all around. Defeatists, nay-sayers, tight-arsed people born with a disapproving frown. No wonder the future has melted away in the warm light of your No-Can-Do vision.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              A simple username and password combination? It's hardly new technology and there is plenty of expertise out there for serving content to paid subscribers only.

And to answer the original question, the Beeb started displaying quite obnoxiously intrusive adverts to non-UK IP addresses in November 2007.

Disabling Javascript sorts it.
              Last edited by Sysman; 20 January 2009, 17:10.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I thought the BBC website was one big ad for the Labour Party.

Or am I wrong

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  A simple username and password combination? It's hardly new technology and there is plenty of expertise out there for serving content to paid subscribers only.
                  And how is the username/password combination associated with the TV Licensing database? Do they have to extend that and use it to support the login mechanism, or do they have to replicate it?

More to the point, how much would it cost? And as the only person who's going to benefit is one contractor whining in a German hotel bedroom, can you construct a cost-benefit analysis that justifies the investment?

Comment

Working...
                  X