• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate Cut Rumours...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Start looking for a new contract. If you find one then walk out of your current site.

Once clients terminate mid-contract the gloves are off. "Unethical" or "unprofessional" behaviour doesn't come into it.
    I agree with that completely. They have changed the position, not you.

Comment

Once clients terminate mid-contract the gloves are off. "Unethical" or "unprofessional" behaviour doesn't come into it.
      There are so many things wrong with this point of view.....
      Just best to say "the predictable actions of petty little people".

Once you have been cut mid-contract, you are heading for the door anyway - its just a matter of time.
      Why? because the client knows you will walk if you get a better offer.
      So what happens......
      If it works without significant attrition, rates will be cut again until people start leaving.

If I was the client and the first round of rate cuts passed off smoothly, I'd be rubbing my hands in glee and looking forward to doing it again soon.

Bend over boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post

Once you have been cut mid-contract, you are heading for the door anyway - its just a matter of time.
        So what happens......
        If it works without significant attrition, rates will be cut again until people start leaving.

If I was the client and the first round of rate cuts passed off smoothly, I'd be rubbing my hands in glee and looking forward to doing it again soon.

Bend over boys.
        Does attrition work this way then? With contractors the client does not have to worry about how to cut numbers it can just do so, unlike with permies. Surely doing it this way will backfire, you cut the rates and the good ones will go, leaving you with the not so good ones - better surely to let the not so good ones go and keep the good ones at the same rate?
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

So what happens......

Bend over boys.
          I'd be temted to make them do it by termination and new contract (rather than just a modification). Then sit on the new contract while you look around.

But I wouldn't care to advise anyone else in the current climate.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            I agree with that completely. They have changed the position, not you.
            Sheesh! What position change do you think it is?
            Friendly and paternal to malevolent shystering?

Its called business.
            It's not "mates being nice to each other"
            If costs can be reduced with little risk, it is done - nothing personal.
            The "He started it first" line being peddled here as a genuine "business response" is just pathetic.

How do you think agents react? do they throw hissy fits?

Sheeesh - what a bunch of wussses!

Comment

So what happens......

Bend over boys.
              Why wouldn't they just use the notice period to terminate a few contractors rather than hope the right number walk?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Why wouldn't they just use the notice period to terminate a few contractors rather than hope the right number walk?
                It's all done by excel spreadheet, nothing more, nothing less.

As long as the number at the bottom meets their (new/revised) target, they've done their bit, the bean counters are happy, job done!
                'elf and safety guru

Comment

Start looking for a new contract. If you find one then walk out of your current site.

So what happens......

Bend over boys.
                  What exactly is wrong with my point of view? Why is it "the predictable actions of petty little people"?

I'm saying that, as contractors, we usually like to finish contracts. Walking out mid-term and walking out without notice is often considered 'unprofessional' by clients and often other contractors. My point is that when the client starts reneging on the spirit of the contract for their self interest, we shouldn't hold back on doing the same.

There is nothing "petty" in that. It's just business.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
                    It's all done by excel spreadheet, nothing more, nothing less.

As long as the number at the bottom meets their (new/revised) target, they've done their bit, the bean counters are happy, job done!
                    Yep. That's how the British car industry, motorcycle industry, shipbuilding industry, pottery industry, concorde and manned space exploration were killed off, so why not kill off IT the same way?
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

What exactly is wrong with my point of view? Why is it "the predictable actions of petty little people"?

I'm saying that, as contractors, we usually like to finish contracts. Walking out mid-term and walking out without notice is often considered 'unprofessional' by clients and often other contractors. My point is that when the client starts reneging on the spirit of the contract for their self interest, we shouldn't hold back on doing the same.

There is nothing "petty" in that. It's just business.
                      Self interest takes a higher priority when the rate drops sufficiently for you to review your lifestyle.
                      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Working...
                      X