• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate Cut Rumours...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take the cut if you have to - it makes you 10-15% more attractive to the client.
    Hope it doesn't come to that though ..
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I should rephrase my answer. The project managers all accepted rate cuts, most of the techies refused. Great result; ClientCo saves money, techies now earning more than Project Managers.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Start looking for a new contract. If you find one then walk out of your current site.

Once clients terminate mid-contract the gloves are off. "Unethical" or "unprofessional" behaviour doesn't come into it.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

I'm direct. In the face of overwhelming client cost reduction (in banking) I agreed a phased reduction of 9% over the next 12 months with 5% reduction now and 4% if I renew in July. On the plus side I've just renewed at 95% of my current rate and know the client wants to keep me until the end of the year. Boomed!
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            I should rephrase my answer. The project managers all accepted rate cuts, most of the techies refused. Great result; ClientCo saves money, techies now earning more than Project Managers.
            Just as god intended!

Edit: Oh, and sorry to hear it Xen
            The pope is a tard.

Comment

I reckon rates in my game fell about 40% and pretty quickly in the last slump. Things are shaping up as bad if not worse this time so look at small rate cuts and a continuing contract as a good thing. Some people might ride it out on a good rate but you'll have to be good, lucky or both.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                Take the cut if you have to - it makes you 10-15% more attractive to the client.
                Hope it doesn't come to that though ..
                It also makes you 10-15% poorer and inflation is a long way above zero.

The worst bit is that when there is little resistance to a 15% cut, you'll find another one comes along a few weeks or months later.

Comment

Rumours were true. Waiting for the call from agent.

What fun.
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post

What fun.
                    Sorry to hear that. Hope it won't prove too expensive.
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post

What fun.
                      Make the agent take at least 50% of the cut. Or tell him gloves are off (due to material breach) and you'll go direct - he can sue you if he likes...
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X