• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need a job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry Doggy Styles! You're (well, we're) right about not lying about something that is relevant to the job. But I just feel that once someone has worked for ten years a degree is no longer relevant and shouldn't be a token prerequisite.

Edit: Francko, absolutely - An MSc or PhD is the kiss of death for a lot of recruiters. At the same time most look for some kind of further education qualification such as a BSc.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 27 December 2008, 13:30.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The legitimate way I get around this is by stressing my professional qualifications.

If the recruiter then says 'post-grad', I didn't hear him....
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
        Since when a degree is considered useful? Especially for a contract. I remember last time I applied for a job and got to the interview and I was studying for a PhD. I didn't get the job because I was considered "academically overqualified". Since then I removed from the CV that I was studying part-time for a PhD and got another job quickly.
        I have on occasion fallen foul of this degree nonsense when I have been on the other side of the fence. It's usually because of some idiotic HR or company rule, and even if I have found somebody I really like and know would be ideal, "company policy" is the brick wall you can't get past.

Quite frankly, if a company has its head so far up its backside that it thinks that is all-important, you're better off without them anyway. And I speak as someone with a masters degree.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

not one of those msc's in computing for media types is it? frankly bog paper is worth more

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
            not one of those msc's in computing for media types is it? frankly bog paper is worth more
            jeez, the idiots are certainly coming out of the woodwork today. Has someone left the cage door open or something?

No, it's called an MBA. And yes it's one you have to work for. And yes I did it for my own reasons and for my own benefit.

When you finish school and have gone on to do a degree, maybe you can think of doing one. See, I can make stupid assumptions just like you can.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

love that one...in order to be desirable to a recruiter, it is important to have a BSc and not have an MSc or PhD.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post

No, it's called an MBA. And yes it's one you have to work for. And yes I did it for my own reasons and for my own benefit.
                okay, so its an mba for media types then. Frankly bog paper is worth more

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  love that one...in order to be desirable to a recruiter, it is important to have a BSc and not have an MSc or PhD.
                  Bit of a blow for me who's quite far into getting an MSc and has no BSc. Not really had too much of a problem getting contracts with no degree, haven't tried in the past few months but my CV isn't exactly weak.

Comment

Originally posted by rob_m View Post

I just dont understand why I havent got a job, with, what I've been told by numerous recruiters, is a good CV.

Am I desperate? I dont know. Maybe. Confused is the word I'd reach for immediately.
                    Two months is way too short to be confused.

You probably dont realise this as you probably always been in work when applying for something else. It can take several months to switch roles in even during the boom times.

You should expect the best but plan for the worst. Expect to find something in the first half of next year. But you should plan on being out of IT work for up to eighteen months.

Your best hope is through networking, people you have worked with in past, old friends etc..

Comment

I remember someone with a 2.1 degree told me that this was better to have than a 1st.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X