• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need a job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
    Boy - you are thick! Just warning him thats all.

....you're on the bench (soon to be on it loooong time).
    I'm on the bench am I? And how do you come to that stunning conclusion???

You have absolutely zero idea of my circumstances or what my skills are, and I strongly suggest you stop making such an idiot of yourself by assuming you do.

As in the last downturn, there will be people for whom not finding work pushes them over the edge, and they top themselves. Whilst not for a minute suggesting that Rob is in that state, and he is probably smart enough to figure out who the idiots are on this board.....exactly what effect do you think your pathetic little message would have if he was?

Try and engage brain eh? Difficult though that may be for you.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post

You have absolutely zero idea of my circumstances or what my skills are, and I strongly suggest you stop making such an idiot of yourself by assuming you do.

As in the last downturn, there will be people for whom not finding work pushes them over the edge, and they top themselves. Whilst not for a minute suggesting that Rob is in that state, and he is probably smart enough to figure out who the idiots are on this board.....exactly what effect do you think your pathetic little message would have if he was?

See that guy on the bench... that's you that is

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
        Are you suggesting he starts to work the streets!
        That depends on exactly how flexible he is...

(PS - there's more than one sockpuppet in this thread... )
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          That depends on exactly how flexible he is...

(PS - there's more than one sockpuppet in this thread... )
          Yes there is. And one of them should damn well know better.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Ah - just noticed the old spelling. Well I can't edit it now just for that....
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post

May I suggest ignoring the atw-style poster?

Seems to me its a troll.....

Comment

rob m, These are the main tips I like so far:
                Originally posted by cojak View Post
                1. DON'T PANIC. Desperation is not attractive and doesn't inspire confidence for a role such as Project Management that (should) require a calm, 'can do' attititude. (DS: treat finding a job like a project)

2. Be flexible - you may have to work away for a couple of months. You can't be too picky until you have come money behind you...

3. Your CV may be letting you down if you haven't needed to use it for some years before last October. This article really is the best advice on the web for how to rewrite your CV to appeal.
                4. In a covering email, say that you have the key things the client is asking for and briefly list them
                Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                5. Tweak your CV for each role you apply for (DS: create your vanilla CV, and for each application, do a version emphasising the skills and experience required for that job).

6. Chase up with a phone call 10 minutes after sending an application, to confirm that the agent has seen it, and this is a good opportunity to sell yourself.

7. Once an agent has put you forward, there's (DS: usually) no point whatever in phoning to check on progress, however anguishing the wait.
                8. As Owlhoot says, don't lie. Only exaggerate or embelish something you have at least a bit of experience of, and bone up on it.

Comment

Rob (the OP), do you have a degree? If not, you'll find it much, much harder to find a contract in the current climate.

I'll probably be flamed to a crisp for saying this, but if you haven't I'd seriously considering adding a degree to your CV.

After all, if you know your stuff IT-wise, why should you be penalized for some ridiculous irrelevant tick box that almost every recruiter looks for solely out of habit? (No one ever checks qualifications BTW.)
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Well that's just f**ked my point number 8, hasn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      Rob (the OP), do you have a degree? If not, you'll find it much, much harder to find a contract in the current climate.
                      Since when a degree is considered useful? Especially for a contract. I remember last time I applied for a job and got to the interview and I was studying for a PhD. I didn't get the job because I was considered "academically overqualified". Since then I removed from the CV that I was studying part-time for a PhD and got another job quickly.
                      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                      X