• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recycling, yes or no?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell 'em that you don't landfill your bags. You have a big bonfire and burn them!

You can have a lot of fun with these sort of humourless, non-thinking drones if you want.

Actually, we should incinerate more of our rubbish anyway. Let's build more incinerators. In Wales and Scotland where nobody is.
    When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
      Landfill sites done properly aren't exactly bad either there is a great thick membrane between the rubbish and the environment around it that stops the really bad tulip getting out.

I've seen the monster bug movies and know what suckers are going to be emerging from these landfills in about 20 years.

The ironic thing is the monster bug isn't the threat, it's all the micro bacteria stuck to its arse that mutated from all and everything we've been dumping.

Forget astroids, global warming, or the lock ness monster. It's the ickle bugs that are going to finish us off.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I think the media place far too much emphasis on the recycle aspect of conservation, and far too little on reduce or reuse.
        However, these first two are more effective and result in an overall reduction in consumption, which is almost treason in our "current economic climate".

Comment

We have to get away from a culture of disposables.

China imports oil to make plastic cutlery that gets shipped to us who use it once then chuck it in the plastics bin. The used plastics then get shipped to Bangladesh to get separated by hand.

Is it not better just to have metal cutlery?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            We have to get away from a culture of disposables.

China imports oil to make plastic cutlery that gets shipped to us who use it once then chuck it in the plastics bin. The used plastics then get shipped to Bangladesh to get separated by hand.

Is it not better just to have metal cutlery?
            Yes, sheffield steel has a smaller "carbon footprint" too.
            But it costs 'Pret' less when customers nick their plastic spoons.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              In chez minestrone I try to make sure everything is recycled, cans, bottles, plastics, batteries, paper etc. What we put in the land fill bin is probably about one quarter of a black bag a week.

To the credit of my council they do actively help out on this providing bags and boxes for all the recyclable groups.

Anyway, my friend comes round for a few beers last night and we get onto this topic during conversation. His view is that he pays tax to buy the product and he pays council tax to take the waste away, therefore it is not his problem.

So..

Recycling, yes or no?
              It all goes to the same landfill anyway - there is no point to it - except to make you feel good if you are dim.
              "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Yes, but should be done by convicts or, in due course, robots at recycling depots.
                I always thought this would be a good activity for the hoody asbo types

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Great idea. The unemployed could have a go too (at different depots).
                Yes them as well - the long term professional unemployed that is, would soon get them looking for something better
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                X