• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recycling, yes or no?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Councils dumping more than 200,000 tonnes of recycling every year

So us mugs will soon have to pay extra for the non-recyclable stuff we can barely avoid [atw comment: most food has to come in some packaging, not much of it recyclable at present], only for the councils to dump it with the stuff we've bothered to recycle.

So which morons still see this as anything more than another tax? Saving the planet my
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

In Greenwich we seperate food from other stuff : the food gets made into compost. which is great.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        In Greenwich we seperate food from other stuff : the food gets made into compost. which is great.

ex

IGMC...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          They do that in the north too. Except the food gets put back on the shelves, with a new sell by date label.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

we do our stuff of recycling, but things like orange/apple juice cartons can't be done. So we could reduce our land fill waste by buying different juice, but can't be arsed.

Comment

You do all know that the council puts it all in landfill anyway?

The whole thing is ridiculous, and sits appropriately alongside the looks of utter horror I get from the minimum wage supermarket numpty when I place those overpackaged goods in an additional wafer thin plastic bag.

Shame these highly qualified environmental scientists are all working on supermarket checkout counters these days.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

ex

IGMC...

Except she lives in Bexley.......

Comment

cans and glass are worth recycling, however paper is a waste of space (most paper is made from forests specifically grown to make paper now, they wouldn't be grown if there was no demand for it). Plastic is so rthing we really shouldn't recycle. The recycling process produces a tulip load of highly toxic crap that screws the environment up more than just chucking it in a landfill.....

Landfill sites done properly aren't exactly bad either there is a great thick membrane between the rubbish and the environment around it that stops the really bad tulip getting out.

Comment

I don't bother because in the long run it's all futile anyway. Once the current holocene interglacial comes to an end it's all going to get a bit parky.
                    When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

Ok, you got me started on this subject!

Don't even go shopping in Crouch End without a canvas shopping bag. The plastic bag police will be after you.

When the checkout lady in Waitrose patronises me off for asking for plastic carrier bags, I ask her why my fruit and vegetables have been air-freighted from Argentina and are packaged in thick plastic. Why do we need to import apples for gawds sake!

Unfortunately, my questions aren't usually understood.

As for recycling, we are unpaid workers for the council, sorting our waste, when the council used to do that anyway. Its simply about them saving money.
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X