• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recycling, yes or no?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recycling, yes or no?

In chez minestrone I try to make sure everything is recycled, cans, bottles, plastics, batteries, paper etc. What we put in the land fill bin is probably about one quarter of a black bag a week.

To the credit of my council they do actively help out on this providing bags and boxes for all the recyclable groups.

Anyway, my friend comes round for a few beers last night and we get onto this topic during conversation. His view is that he pays tax to buy the product and he pays council tax to take the waste away, therefore it is not his problem.

So..

Recycling, yes or no?

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    .. Recycling, yes or no?
    Yes, but should be done by convicts or, in due course, robots at recycling depots.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Very topical. From yesterday's Telegraph:

Councils dumping more than 200,000 tonnes of recycling every year

Household rubbish put out for recycling is being dumped in landfill sites or sent to incinerators by three out of four councils, a Daily Telegraph investigation has discovered.
      Proper recycling is done in Europe. Heck, when I was a kid, our local council used to recycle cardboard and newspaper and turned a decent profit from it. We also did newspaper recyclng at school where we raised a decent amount of money for sports equipment. It's nothing new, and therefore all the more appalling that councils don't get their act together.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I'm pretty good on doing paper. But the thing that pisses me off is that 90% of what goes into the paper recycling box is stuff I never wanted in the first place. Seems a bit arse about face to come down on the householder. Reclycling is all very nice, but wouldn't it be better to just not cut down Brazil to start with?
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Yes, but should be done by convicts or, in due course, robots at recycling depots.
          Great idea. The unemployed could have a go too (at different depots).

Comment

No.

It's too late, the world is ****ed. I don't see how me putting my wine bottles in the recycling is going to make a blind bit of difference. This recycling is just ****ing in the wind.

Then again, I do get through quite a lot of wine .......

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Recycling, yes or no?
              no
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Yep!! We should recycle as much as we can and not waste our resources. However, council taxes are too high and should be reduced now that we are working for the council !!

Comment

I don't use my recycle bin, infact when they dropped it off I sawed it in half and threw it in the bin
                  Last edited by Bagpuss; 21 December 2008, 18:43.
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

The last place I lived in in London was a block of flats in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.

The council provided a large bin for recycling items, with a list of what could be recycled. This was separate from the rest of the household waste.

I used to carefully sort my rubbish that could recycled from the rubbish that could not, but other ignorant ******* in the building just used to throw all their rubbish into the recycling bin making my efforts pointless.

Comment

Working...
                    X