• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jaguar-Land Rover

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
    But that was only as part of a big tax fiddle to avoid import tax for vehicles sold in Russia. That and taking more unused Ford factories off Ford's hands. (Halewood!)

But the rusky's changed their mind at the last minute!
    The main problem was shipping costs were prohibitive.
    Last edited by voodooflux; 18 December 2008, 16:14.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
      That's exactly what we need - another millstone round the taxpayer's neck....
      As I said in the first page, you might as well offer the money to a british based group to buy it over.

You are never going to see the cash again so you might as well give it to a UK company.

Comment

The fact remains that until the middle of this year JLR was a profitable business.

So it was far from a failing business. The current economic climate has hurt it, and like banks, a lot of people rely on JLR!

Comment

The fact remains that until the middle of this year JLR was a profitable business.
          WHS, although you wouldn't have realised that from the media coverage of the acquisition by Tata. It's as though the media wanted the business to be failure.
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

So it was far from a failing business. The current economic climate has hurt it, and like banks, a lot of people rely on JLR!
            So when do you think people will start buying big thirsty luxury cars again, middle of next year??
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
              WHS, although you wouldn't have realised that from the media coverage of the acquisition by Tata. It's as though the media wanted the business to be failure.
              The media have done this to other "great" british companies before though. Marconi being one that springs to mind

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                So when do you think people will start buying big thirsty luxury cars again, middle of next year??
                That's my plan!!
                Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  Freelander TD4 gives 37.7MPG combined cycle. Range Rover TDV8 gives 25.4MPG - and with some hybrid stuff on the way, I think these are pretty respectible really, given the luxury.

The problem is people with idea's and perceptions deeply rooted in the past. JLR is no different from any other european car company at the moment - it is a different problem to that affecting the US.

The swedes bailed out Volvo and Saab (who are owned by the failing big 3!), to the tune of £2.3bn earlier this year. No predictions of doom there though! (linky)

Originally posted by Bear View Post
                  That's my plan!!
                  Good work!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    As I said in the first page, you might as well offer the money to a british based group to buy it over.

You are never going to see the cash again so you might as well give it to a UK company.
                    My preference would be not to spend the money at all!
                    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                      My preference would be not to spend the money at all!
                      WHS

Comment

Working...
                      X