• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to depart...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Maybe you're right and it is desertion, but in all honesty, I couldn't give a toss.
    Well that's fair enough - you probably wouldn't give a toss about coming back then.
    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
      Well that's fair enough - you probably wouldn't give a toss about coming back then.
      Provided I can have a holiday visa to return occasionally and visit family, I can't see myself ever having any desire to come back.
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
        Anyone who leaves this country in it's greatest time of need, should never be allowed to return.
        Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

-- United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 13 (which we helped to write)

Comment

Originally posted by WKnight View Post
          Is it time to leave the UK?

We're writing a CUK front-page piece for Thursday prompted by the previous thread, "What's the world coming to?"

Given all the economic doldrums at the moment is it time to get out and try another country?

Have you thought about it? Why? Why not? where to go? etc etc.

I'll quite possibly pick out a few choice quotes for the article - attributed to your forum name for client protection. Feel free to use a private-message if you prefer.
          I have just left.

But, the reason for that is that Mrs Gonzo wanted to go home (after living in London for 10 years). Neither of us have any work lined up yet and the country we have just moved to went into recession before Britain did.

Even if it wasn't in recession, there is no way that I will be able to match locally the sums of money that I earned working at Finance companies in London, so this has been a lifestyle move not an economic one, and probably not a lot of help with your article!

Comment

I can't wait to get out - the kids are not happy at school and are nowhere near their potential. Youngest is preschool yet daycare costs more than wife can earn even if she wasn't paying taxes. Food bills are astronomical as is heating. Prospects in the current climate are abysmal - if anything happens to my contract I am 2 months away from repossession.

I'm thinking of sending the wife and kids to live in Asia with relatives - its the only way we can survive even though I'm on a good rate.
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

So no-one's come up with any better options that aren't the other side of the world?

Anyone tried living in Spain for more than a few months? I used to work with a couple of contractors that had places in the Marbella/Puerto Banus area. Didn't seem bad, though not exactly cheap.

Though that's the price you pay to avoid the expats who think Blackpool's sophisticated, trashing the Costa Del Sol and Benidorm areas.

Seems we may as well gain some benefit from being in the EU, and try moving around it a bit more, even if it's only for the sunshine.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                So no-one's come up with any better options that aren't the other side of the world?

Anyone tried living in Spain for more than a few months? I used to work with a couple of contractors that had places in the Marbella/Puerto Banus area. Didn't seem bad, though not exactly cheap.

Though that's the price you pay to avoid the expats who think Blackpool's sophisticated, trashing the Costa Del Sol and Benidorm areas.

Seems we may as well gain some benefit from being in the EU, and try moving around it a bit more, even if it's only for the sunshine.
                I guess the attraction of the Antipodes, USA, Canada etc is that as a general rule (myself included), we're all far too apathetic about learning a new language.
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I guess the attraction of the Antipodes, USA, Canada etc is that as a general rule (myself included), we're all far too apathetic about learning a new language.

Yeah, even though the empire's long gone, we still conquered the world with our language. Even if the yanks like to pretend otherwise with their crass americanisms and mispronounciation.

Though these days English is a second language in many schools around the world. So no need for us to worry too much about the foreigners.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Why learn a new language Surely they can speaka da English in Spain? Are they dunces or what

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                      Yeah, even though the empire's long gone, we still conquered the world with our language. Even if the yanks like to pretend otherwise with their crass americanisms and mispronounciation.

Though these days English is a second language in many schools around the world. So no need for us to worry too much about the foreigners.

How come Americanism isn't spelt with a Z?

Comment

Working...
                      X