• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renting accomodation on the mainland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all.

The local rag has an online version with a rentals section but it's mostly the agencies advertising.

I have seen a couple of hotel_apartments but they seemed pretty pricey TBH.

Maybe I'm being naive in my expectations. I was hoping to pay slightly less than I do for the 12 nights I hotel it at the mo.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      Thanks all.

The local rag has an online version with a rentals section but it's mostly the agencies advertising.

I have seen a couple of hotel_apartments but they seemed pretty pricey TBH.

Maybe I'm being naive in my expectations. I was hoping to pay slightly less than I do for the 12 nights I hotel it at the mo.
      TBH I'd guess that an apartment would be just about even compared to only 12 nights hotel per month. A serviced apartment will probably cost more but will be more convenient without the "Magnificent Seven" three hundred hotel rooms feeling.
      Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Can't face another year of hotels and so I'm flat hunting in DE.

Some of the agencies are wanting up to 150% of a months rental as commission for finding somewhere and I resent giving that much cash to anyone with 'agent' in their job title.

Anyone found a better way of finding somewhere?

TIA

PL
        This is normal, that's how it works. in DE.

Usually, it's 20% for a one month rental and then 15% for each month thereafter, though that can differ from agent to agent. The 150% is a maximum that they are legally allowed to charge for *everything* that they ever do for you in respect of one rented property (though this percentage seems to vary by Land).

I like the Germany system, in the UK you will invariably get a bill of several 100 pounds for "checks" each time you re-new, they may not charge these fees in Germany. Also the fact that they are directly "working for you" rather than the landlord means that they (usually) try harder (this latter rule does not apply in Munich)

tim

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Not all European apartments - the Swiss apartments won't have lightbulb sockets, but you get a fully fitted kitchen, usually including a dishwasher.
          And a laundry room (most likely shared).
          Swedish apartments are also fully fitted (mine even had an option of a dishwasher), but you often have to wait on a list for three years before you get one :-(

tim

Comment

Working...
          X