• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Part time work….

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jim2406 View Post
    i only mention that because i know 2 people who make a good amount of money (well into the thousands a month) out of it by playing like robots in several low-stakes games at once

personally i wouldn't do it
    If you can play like a robot you should just write one to play for you. I know such software exists but I've no idea if it's actually any good - a decent poker bot would require advanced knowledge of game theory and other high-brow academic stuff, but low-stakes games tend to be full of idiots and as you say, just playing the odds mechanically can be enough especially in limit Holdem or 5-card-draw.

I've thought of playing poker as a possibility if I had enough saved up to not need to work for a while... it's probably my plan D right now
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

one of the aforementioned 2 people uses screen-scraping software he wrote to give himself an edge, but it 'tells him what to do' - it doesn't do it for him.

to write software to do it for you, you'd need a good understanding of C++, the win32 api etc. and you'd also need to be able to write something realistic enough to evade the many anti-bot filters built into poker software

there's a 6-part article floating around the web about how to write a poker bot - interesting reading

Comment

Working...
      X