• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Part time work….

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newspaper delivery boy.

Bar work.

Dish washer at local restaurant (if they have any customers left).

Evening shelf stacker in Tesco.

Web cam gay p o r n gimp.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
      Just a bad couple of months - it is not every month you shell out £12K on home improvements!

We are talking new bathroom, kitchen and lounge. Literally.
      That's cheap - last time I had to redo the kitchen it alone cost £15,000!
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

read every post on moneysavingexpert.com and figure out how to reduce your outgoings

go through all of your monthly bills and see if you can pay less for any of them either by switching suppliers, tarrifs, getting rid of the expense altogether, etc

go through your home and ensure it's as energy efficient as possible

do your shopping at a combination of fresh markets (fishmongers / meat markets) and chinese supermarkets (most staples cost about 1/2 of what they do at tesco, asda etc). after you've done this, if you can't already, learn to cook properly from fresh ingredients.

keep an eye on MPG you are getting out of your car and adjust driving accordingly if needed.

if you have sky, and are paying for movies, phone them and tell them you're thinking of cancelling, they'll give you 6 months for free.

if you temporarily need to have more money still, change one of your mortgages to interest-only for 12 months, most providers will do this in the current climate (i've done this)

if you are paying high interest on any loans look into ways it can be made cheaper (there are still 0% cards, i just got one with halifax)

the above steps, if you haven't done them already, will probably save you as much money as taking on a low paid second job

Start a blog related to your professional discpline and experiences (or perhaps something not related to IT that you're interested in), gain readership, then sell advertising space

Learn to play online poker to a high standard

sell lots of stuff on ebay

hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
          That's cheap - last time I had to redo the kitchen it alone cost £15,000!
          That's cheap - last time I had to redo the bathroom it alone cost £27,000!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Newspaper delivery boy.

Bar work.

Dish washer at local restaurant (if they have any customers left).

Evening shelf stacker in Tesco.

Web cam gay p o r n gimp.
            Can you provide references for these roles Mr Platypus?
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
              Not far off the truth to be honest.

I get £700 rent, mortgage is £550, but there is a lot of hassle with the measly £150 profit!

Plan is to wait another 40 years until the price starts to rise again.......

Just a bad couple of months - it is not every month you shell out £12K on home improvements!

We are talking new bathroom, kitchen and lounge. Literally.
              What happened to your savings from contracting?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by jim2406 View Post

And you were doing so well. If you're looking to make decent money doing this you had better be very good. Problem is it costs money to get that good.

Comment

Originally posted by jim2406 View Post
                  Think it would also get boring. It would be almost as bad as working in testing/QA...
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

i only mention that because i know 2 people who make a good amount of money (well into the thousands a month) out of it by playing like robots in several low-stakes games at once

personally i wouldn't do it

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Think it would also get boring. It would be almost as bad as working in testing/QA...
                      No, testing's much worse, but I'm no good at anything else and who's going to pay me a ton a year to clean windows?
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X