• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Part time work….

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Part time work…."

Collapse

• jim2406
    replied
    one of the aforementioned 2 people uses screen-scraping software he wrote to give himself an edge, but it 'tells him what to do' - it doesn't do it for him.

to write software to do it for you, you'd need a good understanding of C++, the win32 api etc. and you'd also need to be able to write something realistic enough to evade the many anti-bot filters built into poker software

there's a 6-part article floating around the web about how to write a poker bot - interesting reading

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by jim2406 View Post
    i only mention that because i know 2 people who make a good amount of money (well into the thousands a month) out of it by playing like robots in several low-stakes games at once

personally i wouldn't do it
    If you can play like a robot you should just write one to play for you. I know such software exists but I've no idea if it's actually any good - a decent poker bot would require advanced knowledge of game theory and other high-brow academic stuff, but low-stakes games tend to be full of idiots and as you say, just playing the odds mechanically can be enough especially in limit Holdem or 5-card-draw.

I've thought of playing poker as a possibility if I had enough saved up to not need to work for a while... it's probably my plan D right now

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Think it would also get boring. It would be almost as bad as working in testing/QA...
    No, testing's much worse, but I'm no good at anything else and who's going to pay me a ton a year to clean windows?

Leave a comment:

• jim2406
    replied
    i only mention that because i know 2 people who make a good amount of money (well into the thousands a month) out of it by playing like robots in several low-stakes games at once

personally i wouldn't do it

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Learn to play online poker to a high standard
    Think it would also get boring. It would be almost as bad as working in testing/QA...

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied

And you were doing so well. If you're looking to make decent money doing this you had better be very good. Problem is it costs money to get that good.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Not far off the truth to be honest.

I get £700 rent, mortgage is £550, but there is a lot of hassle with the measly £150 profit!

Plan is to wait another 40 years until the price starts to rise again.......

Just a bad couple of months - it is not every month you shell out £12K on home improvements!

We are talking new bathroom, kitchen and lounge. Literally.
    What happened to your savings from contracting?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Newspaper delivery boy.

Bar work.

Dish washer at local restaurant (if they have any customers left).

Evening shelf stacker in Tesco.

Web cam gay p o r n gimp.
    Can you provide references for these roles Mr Platypus?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    That's cheap - last time I had to redo the kitchen it alone cost £15,000!
    That's cheap - last time I had to redo the bathroom it alone cost £27,000!

Leave a comment:

• jim2406
    replied
    read every post on moneysavingexpert.com and figure out how to reduce your outgoings

go through all of your monthly bills and see if you can pay less for any of them either by switching suppliers, tarrifs, getting rid of the expense altogether, etc

go through your home and ensure it's as energy efficient as possible

do your shopping at a combination of fresh markets (fishmongers / meat markets) and chinese supermarkets (most staples cost about 1/2 of what they do at tesco, asda etc). after you've done this, if you can't already, learn to cook properly from fresh ingredients.

keep an eye on MPG you are getting out of your car and adjust driving accordingly if needed.

if you have sky, and are paying for movies, phone them and tell them you're thinking of cancelling, they'll give you 6 months for free.

if you temporarily need to have more money still, change one of your mortgages to interest-only for 12 months, most providers will do this in the current climate (i've done this)

if you are paying high interest on any loans look into ways it can be made cheaper (there are still 0% cards, i just got one with halifax)

the above steps, if you haven't done them already, will probably save you as much money as taking on a low paid second job

Start a blog related to your professional discpline and experiences (or perhaps something not related to IT that you're interested in), gain readership, then sell advertising space

sell lots of stuff on ebay

hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Just a bad couple of months - it is not every month you shell out £12K on home improvements!

That's cheap - last time I had to redo the kitchen it alone cost £15,000!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Newspaper delivery boy.

Bar work.

Dish washer at local restaurant (if they have any customers left).

Evening shelf stacker in Tesco.

Web cam gay p o r n gimp.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    Just in time to get down the post office and sort some xmas mail I think.
    Hmm... You may be onto something.

I like the idea of a Saturday post round, I am used to getting up early and would welcome the excercise!

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Just in time to get down the post office and sort some xmas mail I think.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Not far off the truth to be honest.

I get £700 rent, mortgage is £550, but there is a lot of hassle with the measly £150 profit!

Plan is to wait another 40 years until the price starts to rise again.......

<<<canned laughter>>>

Leave a comment:

Working...
X