• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The death of the coffee shops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wetherspoons aren't all holes. Friday/Saturday night they tend to be very full but that's about it.

The thing I like is they still have the policy of not playing music... so many pubs/bars play music at a level you can't talk, and I can't see any reason I'd go to a pub where I can't talk to the person I'm there with.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Cobblers. Good selection of real ales at a competitive price
      I found out how they alegedly sell their beer at a competitive price.

They allegedly buy beer literally a day or two before it goes bad, and it has a very short shelf life, so they knock it out to the punters at a discount.

Apparently, this is not beer at its premium taste and quality.

Still, it pleaseth the untermensch who have neither the money nor the tastebuds to know (or care) any better.

The best thing about a WS is that it usually acts as a magnet for the people you don't want to meet down your proper local.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
        I found out how they alegedly sell their beer at a competitive price.

They allegedly buy beer literally a day or two before it goes bad, and it has a very short shelf life, so they knock it out to the punters at a discount.

Apparently, this is not beer at its premium taste and quality.

Still, it pleaseth the untermensch who have neither the money nor the tastebuds to know (or care) any better.

The best thing about a WS is that it usually acts as a magnet for the people you don't want to meet down your proper local.
        untermenschen

It wouldn't surprise me if they pick up the ales that are on the brink of becoming undrinkable. The only time I've ever been in a Wetherspoons was when it was the nearby place after a web standards geek meet, one Friday evening in London.

I think they were somewhat taken aback by the number of people who complained about their rancid ales - I myself rejected two different pints, and in the end they were forced to take all but one of the ales offline.

I noticed that they brought them back on when the rather chavvy crowd (this was near the City) turned up later on at night for the "disco", or whatever it's called nowadays.

Of course, the lager and other top-dispense garbage was no worse than it always is, judging by the fact that nobody seemed to object to it.

I always wonder if people who happily drink things like "lager", "Draught Guinness" and "Creamflow/Draughtflow" bitter ever realise that they are directly equivalent to people who have been brought up to believe that UHT milk is what milk is supposed to be like.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I always wonder if people who happily drink things like "lager", "Draught Guinness" and "Creamflow/Draughtflow" bitter ever realise that they are directly equivalent to people who have been brought up to believe that UHT milk is what milk is supposed to be like.
          I am a snob.

Buying barrels a few days before the end date is hardly a crime... I'm sure many of us pick up bargains in Tesco (sorry, that should probably be Waitrose/M&S) in just the same way. WS get away with it because they have such a high volume... they can clear a whole barrel in a day whereas a smaller pub might take several days to get through it.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Buying barrels a few days before the end date is hardly a crime
            Legally no.

However, if NF, his friends, and other ale drinkers I know confirm that the ale tastes rancid, then the legal argument is a moot point.
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
              Yeah we rule at Rugby...
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post

It's grim down south
                in Hammersmith...
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                X