• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No more speeding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    No these are permanent average speed cameras, been there over a year now. There are various exits along the route, so you do have to beware not to follow someone suddenly speeding up - they know their exit is before the next camera.

The good thing about them is if you get slowed down by a truck doing 60 for 2 mins, then you know you can do 80 for 2 minutes to compensate. Just keeping a mental idea of the balance.
    I think Clarkson recommended speeding in a Veyron at 200mph - then stopping for a fag?

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Nope, but then I've never been through one where I'd thought it appropriate to break the limit by a large margin.

A lot of times they are in contraflows where it really is daft to go too fast - even if both sides are limited to 50, you've got a realistic chance of a 100mph+ collision should the chap on the other side do the stupidest thing possible.
      This was on the A40 westbound somewhere near Northolt at 1am with no other traffic and a straight road with visibility of half a mile. No contraflow. Had it not been for the speed cameras I would have gone through at 90.

Comment

generally not as much moaning about this as would have expected. is the general consensus that this is a good thing then?

I think its more and more nanny-statism and despise it. At least with the fixed cameras you've got a fighting chance of getting away with it.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

About time the government stopped trying to bring the country to its knees by slowing it right down, first the economy, now the traffic!

You're the driver, you're the captain of your ship, you decide the right speed for you. If you crash it & die, natural selection. Makes sense!

Comment

Unfortunately most accidents involve other people
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
              generally not as much moaning about this as would have expected. is the general consensus that this is a good thing then?
              No, but then it seems inevitable. Or else we believe Labout will be out any time before it gets implemented.
              Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                Unfortunately most accidents involve other people
                Mine didn't. I wrapped a sports car round a tree on my own.

Comment

well now we know what Thevoice thinks of you. Whoever he is
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post

I think its more and more nanny-statism and despise it. At least with the fixed cameras you've got a fighting chance of getting away with it.
                    No they are ******* not.

Oh the motorway particularly the M3 they are ******* nuisance. Especially because you get the idiots who can't work out what average means or those who have to drive under the 10 mph under the speed limit.

Mind you the only time when I've suffered them in a built up area in West London in a 20mph zone the locals had a habit of walking into the road without looking. It wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't pushing prams or dragging little kids with them.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

What's the punishment for not having plates on your car?

If we were french we'd be ripping them off and burning them, but as brits we'll continue to take whatever pegging the govermin dreams up next.

Maybe we should organise a day when we all take them off at the same time, they can't do us all! Maybe start a compo fund for those caught, sort of an insurance against twatist laws.

I'm up for it, as long as it's not organised for April 1st.
                      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                      Feist - I Feel It All
                      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                      X