• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HIV+ in 2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    although I don't think the kind of hysterical reactions commonly experienced twenty years or so ago are so likely nowadays. .
    I'm of the generation that was taken aside at 15 and told that one in three of us would be dying of AIDS within a few years, and the only way to avoid it was to stop enjoying ourselves. I wonder how much that kind of "responsible" scaremongering is to blame for the hysteria amongst the ignorant today?

Maybe in 20 years time when global warming hasn't happened, there'll still be people in fear of CO2. But that's a whole different argument.

I think most people realise that HIV isn't an instant death sentence, and it's almost getting to the point of being less of a problem than something like diabetes. But if it was me, I'm not sure I'd want to tell too many people, anymore than I'd want to tell everybody if I had any other potentially fatal condition. I think it's slightly unreasonable to put people in the situation of having to be okay with it, or being guilty about not being okay with it.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
      I thought may be people could be mature enough on a certain serious topics.
      You've got over 600 posts - you should know better!!
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

You can get HIV from sitting on a toilet seat...
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

HIV infection rates from female - male heterosexual intercourse are like 1/1000 - 1/10000 - thats one unlucky guy...
          The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
            You can get HIV from sitting on a toilet seat...
            ....if there is already someone sitting on it
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by ookook View Post
              HIV infection rates from female - male heterosexual intercourse are like 1/1000 - 1/10000 - thats one unlucky guy...
              I was gonna say also thats very unlucky.

I shared a student house with some med student that were doing research on the T23 cell - its the one that the virus attaches itself to. They said that it is very difficult for the virus to attach itself and you have to work hard to acheive the bond - its a chemically 'weak' virus to transfer.

poor guy has my sympathy - would not like to be in his position at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
                A close mate of mine told me this weekend he was HIV+ he found out a week ago, normal guy early 30's, never a drug user, desk job just like you or I. He is hetrosexual and recon he caught it from a one night stand he had always been safe sex but the condom came off.

I'm going to stand by him and support him but he is obviously worried about telling other friends and work, does he actually need to tell work ? Would you prefer someone you knew well to tell you they were HIV + or for you not to know.

I'm really scared for my mate and people reactions.
                I feel very sorry for him - all the best.

And no feeding the trolls!

Comment

lesson to all you hairy (and none hairy)chested blokes -keep your condom on!

Lesson to all the lasses - ensure your hairy/none hairy chested blokes - make sure he keeps his condom on.

If you are male and gay - both keep your condoms on.

If your female and gay- be carefull in there.
                  Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
                    lesson to all you hairy (and none hairy)chested blokes -keep your condom on!

Lesson to all the lasses - ensure your hairy/none hairy chested blokes - make sure he keeps his condom on.

If you are male and gay - both keep your condoms on.

If your female and gay- be carefull in there.
                    Is there a trick to keeping your condom?

It has never fallen off me! Maybe I should start a poll?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Is there a trick to keeping your condom?

It has never fallen off me! Maybe I should start a poll?
                      You must be using the correct size
                      http://www.avert.org/usecond.htm
                      Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Working...
                      X