• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

The story of several generations of some Colombian family living in the village founded by their forefather and all the weird things that happen to them and their community over the years. It's ok, but not a book with a traditional storyline as such. Seems quite repetitive really, I've still got 100 pages to go and I know the sort of things that are going to happen before I get to the end; hopefully I'll be proved wrong. Definitely one for the Guardian readers amongst us!
    i absolutely loved that book the second time i read it. the first time i thought the same as you commented. i know i am going to read it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
      I read a book once. It was green.
      Wasn't that a line from the popular tv series Porridge?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        Wasn't that a line from the popular tv series Porridge?

Go to the top of the CUK class, PSB.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

The Secret History - Donna Tartt (re-reading) and a CISSP primer (for the commute)

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post

Go to the top of the CUK class, PSB.

Wot no geek points?
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

The Generals by Simon Scarrow

I like Napoleonic war novels.

Comment

I read "The Island" while I was on holiday - it was really good!! It's about a leper colony off the coast of Crete.
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Feuchtgebiete - Charlotte Roche

'Ever since I could think, I've had hemorrhoids.'
                  The heroine of Wetlands is Helen Memel, an opinionated, outspoken 18-year-old who is as articulate as she is sexually confident. After a failed attempt to shave her intimate parts, Helen ends up in the Department of Internal Medicine at the Maria Hilf Hospital. She remains in the ward for the rest of the novel, surrounded by surgical instruments and machines, mentally exploring her body and those of other women.
                  'A denunciation of the fetishism of beauty and the obsession with hygiene ... or a satirical novel with little content, except to demonstrate that the media functions by searching for scandal?'
                  Die Welt

'Phlegmatic, self-satisfied, taboo tearing ...'
                  Stern

'A masturbation pamphlet ... '
                  Die tageszeitung

'A protest at the Heidi Klum world ...'
                  Süddeutsche Zeitung
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I am reading John Grisham - the last juror.

I do like John Grisham.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      I am reading John Grisham - the last juror.

I do like John Grisham.
                      Me too, usually - but I read The Appeal on holiday and it was a bit heavy going!
                      Bazza gets caught
                      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                      X