• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Curious how things were worse after the war than they were during it.

Next: "Never Again" by Peter Hennessy. Same old same old 1945 - 1951. Dunno when I bought this, it came from a different bookshelf, so may have been there decades.

Despite the 1945 - 1951 bit it actually starts in 1938, to get us up to speed, like.
    Inneresting in parts, not very in other parts. Off to Oxfam with it.

There's another two in the series, I don't think I'll bother, I found the David Kynaston books much more readable.

Next: "A Man on the Moon" by Andrew Chaikin. Another 600 page epic.

Thankfully an easier read than Hennessy's epic. Turns out it's 2nd hand & preloved. No idea when it was bought but the dust suggests that it was a while ago. Purchased 22nd of December 2010 so it has been there a while.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 3 May 2024, 19:21.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Next: "A Man on the Moon" by Andrew Chaikin. Another 600 page epic.

Thankfully an easier read than Hennessy's epic. Turns out it's 2nd hand & preloved. No idea when it was bought but the dust suggests that it was a while ago. Purchased 22nd of December 2010 so it has been there a while.
      Inneresting book. Off to Oxfam with it.

Next: "The Philadelphia Experiment: Project Invisibility" by Charles Berlitz and William Moore.

More bollox suitable only for the Blaze channel.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 6 May 2024, 08:34.

Comment

Next: "The Philadelphia Experiment: Project Invisibility" by Charles Berlitz and William Moore.

More bollox suitable only for the Blaze channel.
        Done: very Blaze channel: the fright haired Greek American on Ancient Astronauts must have been in nappies when this was written back in 1978: a book with zero reliable information content: off to Oxfam with it. I didn't buy it, someone gave it to me..

Next: "Eleven Minutes Late: A train journey to the edge of madness soul of Britain" by Matthew Engel.

A rather funny epic journey using a fortnight rover ticket that cost £860.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 7 May 2024, 08:14.

Comment

Next: "Eleven Minutes Late: A train journey to the edge of madness soul of Britain" by Matthew Engel.

A rather funny epic journey using a fortnight rover ticket that cost £860.
          Excellent read: off to Oxfam with it.

Next: Fiction:"A legacy of spies" by John leCarre

And the print is a lot bigger than in the usual tomes I read.

Well there's a thing.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 10 May 2024, 21:48.

Comment

"A legacy of spies" by John leCarre
            Done: off to Oxfam with it. The ending was a bit odd but there you go, and the timeline is equally difficult to figure out.

Next: "Jungle Capitalists: a story of greed globalisation and revolution" by Peter Chapman.

The story of United Fruit, s and republics.

Comment

Done: off to Oxfam with it. The ending was a bit odd but there you go, and the timeline is equally difficult to figure out.

Next: "Jungle Capitalists: a story of greed globalisation and revolution" by Peter Chapman.

The story of United Fruit, s and republics.
              Done. The triumph of the Monroe Doctrine & the wonders of The American Century.

Off to Oxfam with it.

Next: "Smear: Wilson and the Secret Service" by Stephen Dorril and Robin Ramsay.

He may have been paranoid but they really were out to get him.

Comment

Working...
              X