• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Next: "An utterly impartial history of Britain" by John O'Farrell.

Moderately amusing: I've got as far as 1066 and the Norman bastards since I woke at 05:58 and read for an hour before returning to the land of nod.
    Done, having woken early this morning.

Next: TBD (there's so little choice).

"Island on the edge of the world" by Charles MacLean.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Island-Edge.../dp/1841957550

This one is for EO who spent some time there IIRC. .
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 18 February 2023, 09:45.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Done, having woken early this morning.

Next: TBD (there's so little choice).

"Island on the edge of the world" by Charles MacLean.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Island-Edge.../dp/1841957550

This one is for EO who spent some time there IIRC. .
      Done. Pretty good though the final chapter is a bit hard going where he contemplates the reasons for the community's demise.

A fair percentage of them buggered off to Oz which might explain it a little.

Sounds like they were pretty happy until the outside world started interfering.

Randomly falling off seacliffs must have added some spice to life.

New word: "eleemosynary". Well there's a thing.

Next: TBD. "IBM and the holocaust" by Edwin Black. Purchase, according to the receipt, in 2002. Thankfully it was a non fading receipt with actual printed print rather than the more modern disappearing text type.

More light reading. .

Some lune on the Amazon reviews for the above tome seems to think there were mainframes in the 1940s.

Though he/she/it/them/they were aware of Colossus.

https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/1035
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 23 March 2023, 13:21.

Comment

William Gibson 'the peripheral'
        next: 'the agent'

nice bit of cyberpunk

Comment

There Is No Antimemetics Division by qntm. I've just finished it but will probably read again. It can be hard going at times but overall have enjoyed it.

Comment

Next: TBD. "Dirty Words" by Mark Morton. Dunno how this one will go, it being about etymology.
            Thank feck that's done with. Donated to Oxfam, the lucky lucky bastards. .

Next: "Space Chronicles" by Neil deGrasse Tyson. Somewhat lighter. It was half read 5 or more years ago, time to read the rest & off to Oxfam it'll go.

Stone me, I must read a lot, I have 25% of the posts on this thread. .
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 25 March 2023, 19:45.

Comment

William Gibson - Mona Lisa Overdrive.

I had no idea his work was built into several trilogies, I've always read them as stand alone books. I found out about 5 minutes ago when I looked up his bibliography to see what else I hadn't read of his work.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                William Gibson - Mona Lisa Overdrive.

I had no idea his work was built into several trilogies, I've always read them as stand alone books. I found out about 5 minutes ago when I looked up his bibliography to see what else I hadn't read of his work.
                see above, i've just read the latest two.

Comment

Next: "Space Chronicles" by Neil deGrasse Tyson. Somewhat lighter. It was half read 5 or more years ago, time to read the rest & off to Oxfam it'll go.
                  Done. Added to the donation pile for disposal in due course.

Next: TBD. "Star Trek in myth and leg end" by Thomas Richards, 1997. Purchased 17/03/2001 so I have owned it for 22 years and 8 days. .
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 25 March 2023, 20:38.

Comment

"Introduction to Electronic Defense Systems" - Filippo Neri
                    Given its topic, an accessible if weighty tome.
                    Last edited by Zigenare; 28 March 2023, 10:29.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Next: "Star Trek in myth and leg end" by Thomas Richards, 1997. Purchased 17/03/2001 so I have owned it for 22 years and 8 days. .
                      An odd tome investigating the myth & story of Star Trek, written in 1997 so not quite up to date.

Not altogether helping that I haven't watched STNG in decades.

Next: "Inside Apple" by Adam Lashinsky. Oh look: 3 references to The Woz.

Compared with a shed load for Jobs, the thief of $5000, the door stop book about whom met the Oxfam shop last year, the book about The Woz remains upstairs on a bookshelf.

Feck me, this is a hagiography for the great idol Jobs. How no one shot the mother****er is a miracle.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 2 April 2023, 20:58.

Comment

Working...
                      X