• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just starting Genevieve Cogman's The Dark Archives (Part of The Invisible Library series). Light weight-ish fantasy. Not quite as comic as Pratchett but there are similiarities.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Currently reading or recently read:

* "Terms & Conditions: Life in Girls' Boarding Schools, 1939-1979", by Ysenda Graham (2016)

* "Rome: Eternal City", by Ferdinand Addis (2018)

Both bought in a charity shop, so nothing I went out of my way to obtain, with (for the first) a suspiciously pervy motive! Actually, the first was laugh out loud funny in places and an interesting read.

The second is somewhat similar in content to the well-known "Ave Roma Immortalis" by F Marion Crawford (1898) (Gutenberg ebooks at vol 1, vol 2), but as one would expect from their publication dates quite a bit racier!

Planning to read:

* "Docker Deep Dive", by Nigel Poulton (2020-05)

* "Python Testing with pytest", by Brian Okken (2017)

Been using Docker and pytest a fair bit, so thought it was time I consolidated and increased my knowledge of them.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        Next:

To Infinity & Beyond: "Project Orion" by George Dyson.
        Which looked more inneresting than it turned out to be, though the small nukes bit was diverting.

Next: TBD

And having been determined, it proved thusly to be: "The British Way of Life" by Prof. K. B. Smellie, 1955, William Heinemann Ltd.

Turns out that the good professor had his left leg below the knee and right foot blown off by a German shell in April 1917, which presumably got him out of the mincing machine for the duration.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lselibrary/3983645400

However this didn't prevent him living for a total of 90 years & 3 days.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 14 April 2022, 22:07.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Next: TBD

And having been determined, it proved thusly to be: "The British Way of Life" by Prof. K. B. Smellie, 1955, William Heinemann Ltd.
          Which proved to be quite hardgoing, particularly the bit about the Constitution (Unwritten). .

Next: "The Industrial Revolutionaries" by Gavin Weightman, all about, oddly enough, the industrial revolutionaries of the 18th & 19th centuries.

It seems rather easier to read than the aforementioned tome by Prof. Smellie.

Today I found this, which is ever so jolly:

https://npolicy.org/books/Reactor-Gr.../Chapter_1.pdf

Doesn't mention Cobalt Thorium G though.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 8 May 2022, 22:17.

Comment

Thanks to the almighty google I finally found: "Like Young" by Theodore "Ted" Sturgeon.

https://archive.org/details/Fantasy_...p?view=theater

Been searching for this for years.

I wonder where & when I first read it.

Comment

Next: "The Industrial Revolutionaries" by Gavin Weightman, all about, oddly enough, the industrial revolutionaries of the 18th & 19th centuries.
              Done. Next: TBD.

Looks as if it will be "Blowing up Russia" by Alexander Litvinenko and Yuri Felshtinsky.

That's sat on the shelf for years too, though probably not as many years as the Project Orion book.

In other other news, one of the russian scum who murdered Litvinenko has died of covid.

Hopefully slowly & painfully.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 4 June 2022, 17:28.

Comment

"A short history of technology" by T.K. Derry & Trevor I. Williams.

Short in the sense of being written in 1960, not so short in the sense of being 783 pages long.
                There were A Lot of Words in that, but now it's done, apart from the 20 or so unprinted pages towards the end, which was rather annoying.

Next: "It's an old Wild West Custom" by Duncan Emrich, who seems not to have been a fan of Old Yellow Hair Custer judging by some of his comments.

Amusing enough & easy to read.

Comment

Derek Künsken, The Quantum War.

Third in the trilogy. Hard science fiction, humour, space opera.

Comment

Today I found this, which is ever so jolly:

https://npolicy.org/books/Reactor-Gr.../Chapter_1.pdf

Doesn't mention Cobalt Thorium G though.
                    I love the preamble, which says "...and leave it to the others". When (spoiler alert) it's "...and leave it to the otters". Or was that deliberate?

Great short story!

Comment

Next: "It's an old Wild West Custom" by Duncan Emrich, who seems not to have been a fan of Old Yellow Hair Custer judging by some of his comments.

Amusing enough & easy to read.
                      Done: next: "James Watt" by L T. C. Rolt.

Should make Gricer's day. .

The book, having come from Swansea University library, looks as if it's never been read.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11 June 2022, 20:48.

Comment

Working...
                      X